Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Would any of you move to LV in my situation.

I'm seperating from the military in the next few months and am planning on using the GI Bill to finish my degree, about 60-70 credits. I currently live in Maryland but am debating moving to LV and play 1/2NL to pay for apt, food, etc while in school. I'm rolled for 1/2NL, but never played alot of 1/2NL online, mostly all in AC which I faired well. I did however beat 25NL and 50NL for a descent win rate( which isn't saying alot) over 100k hands. So would any of you make the move in my shoes.

Shoes-

Rolled for 1/2NL
8k Savings
6 months unemployment LOL after discharge
Really no furniture or asetts to move.

Cons

I don't know ANYBODY in LV
It can get hot

My plan

Find a cheap room to rent from craigs list, Under $500 including utilities which I would pay up front for 6months-12months. Play 40 hours a week. Profit and move up.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Would any of you move to LV in my situation.

If ur not a very materialistic person, with your situation it can be done. If all else fails, you havn't invested too much time there and can go to Plan B.

keep us posted [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 02:47 PM

I'm a bit confused - do you plan to go to school in LV while also playing poker full time? If not, when you do plan to finish school?

I think going to school while playing poker part time sounds more reasonable.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM

You can almost certainly make more money playing online, with less variance. If you can crush live 1/2 hard enough to build a bankroll to crush 2/5 while also paying living expenses, then you should have no trouble with .5/1 to 1/2 online.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:13 PM

I am confused that anyone would think just because someone can beat live games they would be able to easily beat online games. Online games are much tougher than live games - 1/2 NL games online usually 2 people see the flop. 1/2 live in vegas something like 4 or 5 often see the flop.
Completely different games.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Does the GI Bill pay for a dorm room? If so, I'd do that. Free (sort of) room and maybe board, not to mention all the young girlies walking around.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

I don't see why you would not go in an instant.

Rolled for 1/2NL -- good.
8k Savings -- no worries, you can always fall back on this.
6 months unemployment LOL after discharge -- you even have a steady income that won't eat up your time.
Really no furniture or asetts to move -- going to LV isn't going to be a hassle at all!

Cons

I don't know ANYBODY in LV -- well, you probably don't know anybody pretty much everywhere. So unless you plan on spending your life living down the street from mom and dad, get out and meet some people. LV people eat,drink,sleep just like the people in Maryland.
It can get hot -- yeah, it does that pretty much everywhere in America during the summer.

I say give it a shot, or spend the rest of your life (living close to mom and dad) wondering if you could have made it in LV
Old 05-14-2007, 03:27 PM

I don't know why you'd want to go to school in LV. From what I read here, UNLV sucks. Also, I always felt like the NL game is better in AC based on what other people have said. AC is a poker town, LV isn't really, especially during hte off season.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM

you dont want to live in AC

end.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am confused that anyone would think just because someone can beat live games they would be able to easily beat online games. Online games are much tougher than live games - 1/2 NL games online usually 2 people see the flop. 1/2 live in vegas something like 4 or 5 often see the flop.
Completely different games.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he's a winner over 100k hands online.

And if you can't beat .5/1 online then you probably aren't strong enough to really crush live 1/2 enough to make a good enough hourly rate to support yourself.