Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Default taking small stakes seriously

so for a while i was consistently playing 2-4 NL and 3-6 NL but after a few real bad tilt sessions i have gone busto. I went busto about two months ago and every time i get money i put it on poker sites. The problem however for me is i have a very hard time caring about 5-10 dollar pots when just a few months i was playing 200-300 or more dollar hands. Is there something i can do or do i just need to learn that the small stakes are all i got for now and learn to care about these small pots.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: taking small stakes seriously

[ QUOTE ]
I went busto about two months ago and every time i get money i put it on poker sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is what they mean when they talk about signs of a gambling problem.

But if you're going to play the game anyway whenever you get some extra dollars, try some tournaments. Relatively small buy-in can lead to a relatively big payday, which should retain your interest. And hey, maybe you win one so you can get back to your old game.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM

to clarify i am not addicted poker is just something i had a lot of success at and now am experiencing the the terrible part (being busto) but my goal is too make enough playing online so that i don't need to work during college and play in some large buy in tournies and see how things work i just am having such a tough time building a role as i just cannot take the .10-.20 game seriously
Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to clarify i am not addicted poker is just something i had a lot of success at and now am experiencing the the terrible part (being busto) but my goal is too make enough playing online so that i don't need to work during college and play in some large buy in tournies and see how things work i just am having such a tough time building a role as i just cannot take the .10-.20 game seriously

[/ QUOTE ]
Then take college seriously. Poker is all smoke and mirrors, the rooms and affiliates get rich, and all the others die trying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Some of them are succesful, most of them aren't. And in the end it was probably not worth all the time you put into it. College might have better EV than any juicy table.

If you can not take the .10/.20 game seriously you won't win it. What can you do? Take it seriously. Everybody wants to be a poker millionaire nowadays... the rooms and affiliates must be laughing so hard, so, so hard :P

(And perhaps you ought to reconsider your success at poker after going busto...)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:26 PM

Wow, this is funny, I have a friend who was talking about this exact same thing just yesterday. He can't build a roll, because he cant't play the micros, so he has his whole BR on thtable everytime he plays. He decided to only play NL tourneys, because he lusts after the big "payday" and seems to enjoy it very much. He gets his poker fix and doesn't have to deal with $10 pots. He just plays to win 7k and if he bust out, he bust out.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM

thats what i am prob going to do..that or wait a while and see if i can get 500-1000 dollars together and try and go on a sick run playing1-2NL
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Then take college seriously. Poker is all smoke and mirrors, the rooms and affiliates get rich, and all the others die trying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Some of them are succesful, most of them aren't. And in the end it was probably not worth all the time you put into it. College might have better EV than any juicy table.

If you can not take the .10/.20 game seriously you won't win it. What can you do? Take it seriously. Everybody wants to be a poker millionaire nowadays... the rooms and affiliates must be laughing so hard, so, so hard :P [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
excellent advice. thats the reality of this game. IF you happen to be a winning low limit player, then poker can be a good 2nd or third job, and thats about as good as it gets.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM

I agree poker is only for those who can really play and have BR, I dont have issues with that so sorry u have this type of problem, quit poker its not for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:49 AM

what are you saying i can get the money i need very easily and am a great poker player once i have a roll the only issue i have is that CURRENTLY i am bust this does not mean i don't ever have the BR it means right now i don't which i why i posted this thread trying to get advice about how to care about small little games and not just donk off in these games bc they are so small and don't mean anything to a player of my level who is used to playing 3-6 4-8 games....so SMD
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] am a great poker player once i have a roll the only issue i have is that CURRENTLY i am bust [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
.why didnt you say so. im sure we can get a collection up for your entry into this years series.