Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Default achieving high resolution on MAME roms

I'm trying to play the arcade versions of Killer Instinct and MK2 on roms in higher resolution modes. The sound is awesome and 100% arcade authentic but the graphics are a tad too pixeled up. Is there a way to get the resolution up so that I can reproduce the graphics of the arcade versions?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: achieving high resolution on MAME roms

You ARE looking at what the graphics look like.

The 'problem' is the resolution is like 300x200 or less and you are running your monitor in probably something like 1280x1024 and you are probably trying to stretch the screen so its larger, this will cause pixelation because unlike on CSI and other TV shows, you can't pull detail out of where there is no detail.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 AM

There's something wrong with my screen; that thing doesn't look like an invader from space at all...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You ARE looking at what the graphics look like.

The 'problem' is the resolution is like 300x200 or less and you are running your monitor in probably something like 1280x1024 and you are probably trying to stretch the screen so its larger, this will cause pixelation because unlike on CSI and other TV shows, you can't pull detail out of where there is no detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically there is no way to fix the slight pixelation issue? Does this have something to do with how the ROM is created or something? I tried lowering my monitor resolution to like 400 x 300 and it didn't help.

I don't understand how the sound can translate 100% from the original version and the graphics only translate about 70%.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Because quite frankly, sound technology has not nearly grown as display technology. Sound effects have no 'scaling' factor. You are hearing exactly what you expect, you are seeing something that you have not seen for probably 10 years and the game is older then that.

Unless theres actually something wrong with MAME and your display or the ROM itself, you are seeing exactly the same thing that was on the arcade / TV screen from 15+ years ago.

If you could take some sshots if you really feel its not right, I'm sure others might chime in as to whether there actually is something that can be done, but I am almost 100% positive that you are hearing and seeing exactly the same thing as the original. A ROM is a literal bit for bit copy of the actual, well, ROM, in the console cartridge.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are hearing exactly what you expect, you are seeing something that you have not seen for probably 10 years and the game is older then that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right...I just remember it looking a lot better than it actually did.

I guess playing games on the newer systems does that...bummer...still a great way of revisiting these old games. Thanks for the explanation.