Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill)

So I finally got tired of a constant diet of pasta and simple ground beef/turkey and chicken. Last time I went to the grocery store, I bought myself some decent looking steaks, one New York Strip and one Filet. I know how to pick a steak and these are pretty good.

Problem is, I don't have a grill (living in an apartment) but I do have plentiful cooking resources. I'm basically looking for good ways to cook these indoors and get the most out of them. I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't dig through OOT or the Lounge deep enough to find what I was looking for.

So, TLDR, I'm asking for cooking help. I'm not a total culinary noob but I'm not loaded. What have you got?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill)

I always broil my steaks in the oven... turn the oven to "broil."

Let them thaw to room temperature for best results.

If I'm doing them quick, I just use salt, pepper and butter. Poke a bunch of holes in the meat with a fork or meat tenderizer. Lots of salt, lots of pepper on both sides, melt butter in microwave and drizzle it on both sides.

Put in oven, cook approx 2-3 mins on one side, then flip. The thicker the steaks, the longer it takes (duh).

Check frequently by cutting into one... take out of oven at desired level of done-ness.

If you have a day to prepare, you can marinate them for 12 hours or so. I like to use 12 oz. beer and 12 oz. Coca-Cola... for real. Makes the steaks very juicy and tender.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM

pepper, salt, garlic.
heat a cast iron pan on the stovetop put in some butter and heat until it's frothy. cook steak to desired doneness (minimize the flipping). remove steak from pan, add a little more butter. add sliced onions and sautee until soft-ish. add sliced shrooms. reseason with a bit of salt or whatever (I use maggi or lea and perrins). when shrooms are cooked, deglaze with a bit of marsala. chow down.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Lightly salt steaks on both sides and leave out to come to room temperature. Heat a cast iron skillet smoking hot. Must be cast iron. Throw some kosher salt in pan. Add steaks and cook about three minutes each side for rare. Salt in pan replaces need for oil and you will have a crusty outside second best only grilling. This is all stove top.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Alton Brown's recipe:
-----
Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
-----
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heat a cast iron pan on the stovetop put in some butter and heat until it's frothy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't recommend butter; the smoke-point is so much lower than veggie-oil. If you use canola, as in AB's recipe above, you can get the pan super duper hot, so you'll get a crust on the outside of the meat; it essentially carmelizes the outside. (Not burns. I like my meat rare, but the crust is still important. Mmm, Maillard.)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM

The general theme here is called "pan broiling". This method works best with rib eyes rather than a New York strip or a filet.

In the future, buy a rib eye. Cast iron works best, but you may use other frying pans if you don't own cast iron.

Put the (well seasoned) cast iron over a high heat flame. Let the pan get hot. Sprinkle a bit of salt in the pan. Place the room temperature rib eyes in the pan. The salt will help draw the fat from the rib eye. Do not add oil. Flip the rib eye after about 2 1/2 minutes and let the second side go for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Let the steaks rest, covered for about ten minutes before serving.

Ideally, you'll then deglaze the pan and make a nice pan sauce with mushrooms, shallots, red wine and the juice which runs off the steak. Be sure to serve this on the SIDE of the steak as you've gone to all that effort to form that beautiful crust on the outside.

I've not tried the Alton Brown recommendation of heating the pan in the oven before hand, but common sense says that may be a better option.

With the New York strip and filet you have you can begin by pan broiling, but you'll likely have to finish the steaks in the oven. I'd go about 90 seconds on the first side, 30 on the second and then finish the steaks for about five minutes in a 450 degree oven. You might brush the first side of each steak (especially the filet) with olive oil to aid with the browning.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The general theme here is called "pan broiling". This method works best with rib eyes rather than a New York strip or a filet.

In the future, buy a rib eye. Cast iron works best, but you may use other frying pans if you don't own cast iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I learned through trial and error what steak works best and am totally sold on rib eye and cast iron skillets.

I love the suggestions you give. It's pretty simple and the results are so delicious. Anyone who has not tried jfk's steak and shallots should give it a go. I really love preparing my steaks this way. Just be really careful not to overcook them!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 AM

I was planning to grill rib eyes for my gf on Valentine's Day...until it snowed that day. CardSharpCook recommended that I pan sear the steaks and serve with sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese, or a beurre bleu spread. My gf doesn't like mushrooms or blue cheese, but this sounded really really good. So I did without the mushrooms and blue cheese, rubbed the steaks in olive oil, salt and pepper, and cooked them over med-high heat for about four minutes a side. Very delicious. There are quite a few recipes on epicurious.com that look good for pan searing steaks.

ScottieK
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go about 90 seconds on the first side, 30 on the second

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you cook 1/3 as long on the second side. The pan's lost a lot of heat after searing the first side (even if it's cast-iron), so I'd think you'd want it about the same length on the other side.