Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Default help choosing the type and brand of paint to use for my kitchen

I'm painting my kitchen red this weekend, and I don't know anything about painting walls in a house except to mask off the area you're working on and stir the paint really well.

What is a good type of paint and brand to use with a limit of $40/gallon? My kitchen is rather small and has sheet rock walls that are already painted a medium tan color.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: help choosing the type and brand of paint to use for my kitchen

Actually, there's a good article in the current issue of Consumer Reports about interior paint.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 PM

Benjamin Moore is very good paint. Red does a suck-ass job of covering, so prepare for three coats.

Also, forget the masking tape. Get a good quality brush (Purdy) and take your time. If Michael J Fox's hands look steady next to yours, make sure you get painter's tape, not regular masking tape.

Oh yeah: Use lates semi-gloss for the kitchen. You could go with a glossy oil paint, but a glossy red will make your eyes bleed.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM

listen to deuce. also prep is everything, wash walls with tsp and use a primer like kilz. I like oil based for kitchens.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Benjamin Moore is very good paint. Red does a suck-ass job of covering, so prepare for three coats.

Also, forget the masking tape. Get a good quality brush (Purdy) and take your time. If Michael J Fox's hands look steady next to yours, make sure you get painter's tape, not regular masking tape.

Oh yeah: Use lates semi-gloss for the kitchen. You could go with a glossy oil paint, but a glossy red will make your eyes bleed.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i'll post before and after pics tomorrow
Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Here's a couple of before pics...I'm heading to Lowe's right now and a specialty store to get the Benjamin Moore paint (~40/gal !!!) to get all the [censored]...I'd imagine I'll be done by the evening.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm painting my kitchen red this weekend, and I don't know anything about painting walls in a house except to mask off the area you're working on and stir the paint really well.

What is a good type of paint and brand to use with a limit of $40/gallon? My kitchen is rather small and has sheet rock walls that are already painted a medium tan color.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go with flat latex paint - especially for your kitchen since there aren't a lot of areas that are going to get splashed on (like behind the sink). I painted mine with semi-gloss the first time and hated the sheen. Went with flat the second time and it turned out great. You can still clean up minor spills on flat latex and be fine.

I don't think you need any primer, either. Kilz is best for ceilings and bathrooms where you think you might have water leaks because it kills mold.

just my $0.02.
Good luck
KG
Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM

I really don't like the idea of a semigloss in the kitchen, only rooms I ever paint semigloss are bathrooms really. And don't get the 40$/gallon stuff, this is just the way for the paint store to screw people who don't know any better. Mask off your baseboard because the paint will drip down onto it, and drips will be flying off your roller, but I wouldn't mask anything else if you aren't really really shaky. When you're painting keap a damp rag and a puddy knife with you so that if you do happen to get paint on the trim or cabinets you can wipe it off right away.

As the other guy said already, red is the hardest paint to work with. I've never been able to get it to look good in less then 3 coats, and I'd expect it to prob take you more.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM

I can't edit my other post anymore, but this is important.

Buy a GOOD brush. It's really worth it to buy a 30$ brush, just make sure you clean it really well when you're done and it will be like new for a long time. I'm a big fan of purdy brushes.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Prep & prime today, topcoat another day. You did get a red primer right? It's cheaper, dries faster and has better adhesion than topcoat.