Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Do I have to attend my friends wedding in Cabo?

Ok, I'll try and keep this short. I just bought a condo and in my first year of ownership my budget is very tight because I won't see my tax break until over a year from now, so I have little disposable income. One of my best friends who I've known for ~10 years is getting married in Cabo in order to demonstrate how much money he has. It will cost me ~$1200 all inclusive to spend a 3 day weekend there. There will be few (none that I know of for sure)single girls and it will mostly be a our married friends. In essence I will be more or less a joker to keep everyone entertained with my wild antics and stories of single life.

In order to go, I will have to give up going on a 7-day ski trip or beach trip or any other vacation that I would choose to go on myself for the year.

Personally, I think it's retarded to go to Mexico to get married because it transfers a lot of the cost of a wedding directly onto your friends. Having said that, I would have no problem going if I wasn't in the first year of my mortgage.

How should I handle this?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Do I have to attend my friends wedding in Cabo?

"listen, honestly, i'd love to go, but my funds are really tight and i can't afford to drop a grand right now. here's a wedding gift. have fun."
Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 AM

IMO you have to go if indeed it is one of your "best friends". Use a credit card or something and make it happen.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Go.

) He's one of your best friends.

2) Hopefully he will only get married once.

3) There will be other single women in Cabo not involved in your friends wedding.

4)It will be a good vacation with friends.

5) You're far more likely to regret not going than going.

disclaimer: make sure not all of your time will be monopolized with wedding related activities.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go.

) He's one of your best friends.

2) Hopefully he will only get married once.

3) There will be other single women in Cabo not involved in your friends wedding.

4)It will be a good vacation with friends.

5) You're far more likely to regret not going than going.

disclaimer: make sure not all of your time will be monopolized with wedding related activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ Agreed.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 AM

Your situation sucks, but you got to go.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:02 PM

He said the ceremony will only be like 30 minutes so no problems there. The fact that this "vacation" will only be 2 or 3 nights and will involve nothing more than nightclubs and alcohol is the major deal breaker. I won't have the extra money to go SCUBA diving, gambling (is there gambling there?) etc. If there is gambling, that could change things as I could likely grind out the trip cost.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In order to go, I will have to give up going on a 7-day ski trip or beach trip or any other vacation that I would choose to go on myself for the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

So just spend a few extra days in Cabo around the wedding date (or have a shorter vacation).

If you had no budget for a vacation, there might be a question here. As it is, why are you even thinking twice about this?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is gambling, that could change things as I could likely grind out the trip cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not do this beforehand?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you had no budget for a vacation, there might be a question here. As it is, why are you even thinking twice about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I don't really have a vacation budget unless no emergencies come up during the year. In which case I would be able to treat myself to a vacation at the end of the year. As it is, I would definitely be going in to debt to go to this wedding in the first part of next year.

2. Because I never hang out with him ( ~1 time every 3 months) anymore because my married friends have created their exclusive marriage club.

3. I could care less about going to a resort in Cabo and only being able to spend 2 nights there.

4. It will ruin plans to spend any extra money on myself, which is the same motive he had for having the wedding in Cabo, it is cheaper for them but way more $$$ for the guests.