Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Property Rights

I appriciate that these are much more coherent arguments than "natural rights." I tend to feel that property rights are a social construct, but Tom's position is pretty compelling.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appriciate that these are much more coherent arguments than "natural rights." I tend to feel that property rights are a social construct, but Tom's position is pretty compelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would consider my position a definition of a natural right. (OK maybe it's an example or illustration). At least this is what I mean when I say life, liberty, and property are natural rights.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM

Tom's view is, as he has so far expressed it, the same as Robert Nozick's in his contemporary classic "Anarchy, State, Utopia". However, you shouldn't read Nozick without reading G.A. Cohen's "Self-ownership, Freedom, and Equality" which is generally thought to be a decisive refutation of Nozick's argument in two seperate ways (Cohen critiques Nozick's derivation of property rights from self-ownership, then argues against self-ownership itself).
Old 12-01-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom's view is, as he has so far expressed it, the same as Robert Nozick's in his contemporary classic "Anarchy, State, Utopia". However, you shouldn't read Nozick without reading G.A. Cohen's "Self-ownership, Freedom, and Equality" which is generally thought to be a decisive refutation of Nozick's argument in two seperate ways (Cohen critiques Nozick's derivation of property rights from self-ownership, then argues against self-ownership itself).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, someone who is an expert on my positions. From now on, if you have a question about my opinion, just ask moorobot, don't ask me!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 PM

From how it has been explained so far it is identical to Nozick's...and I think everyone has had more than enough of your arrogance and petty smart-alec comments and insults, FYI.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From how it has been explained so far it is identical to Nozick's...and I think everyone has had more than enough of your arrogance and petty smart-alec comments and insults, FYI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Propertarian. Are you also dano?