Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Default KK misplayed?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
9 players
Converter

No real hard and fast stats on CO but I haven't seen him get out of line.

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.25BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Should I have check / called Turn to see the river cheaply? Did I give up to quickly? Does anyone call this raise? Anybody check the flop?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: KK misplayed?

That looks like a very disciplined fold. Theres a very high chance you are drawing dead or to two outs only. The pot is not massive so I like the fold.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Let's ask a "2nd level" question. What range of hands would your opponent put you on? I'm in the minority, but from UTG, I do not raise KK or AA. It is only from that position.

One of the reasons I play this way is too many people put UTG on a really big hand when raising PF. Too much accurate info. for me.

So his turn raise says, I've got your two pair beat. So you have to go with your read, and you are now OOP on a relatively small pot. I think either line is OK, bet/fold the turn, or check/call and check/call the river.

This hand is one reason I prefer live play, faster ability to read a player. His original cold call and turn raise couple with a QJs holding too easily. I think you made a good fold.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 PM

If you check/call the turn that sets you up to check/call the river. Your fold saved you that extra bet you would have lost. Good bet on the turn and an even better fold.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's ask a "2nd level" question. What range of hands would your opponent put you on? I'm in the minority, but from UTG, I do not raise KK or AA. It is only from that position.

One of the reasons I play this way is too many people put UTG on a really big hand when raising PF. Too much accurate info. for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not raising AA - KK from ANY position is pretty bad. You are missing a ton of value. These hands makes lots of money preflop. Most of your opponents are not thinking about what you have, even if they are, they will usually call anyways.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the minority, but from UTG, I do not raise KK or AA. It is only from that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel your EP raises give too much info (which I highly doubt at small stakes), then raising your big hands plus mixing it up with some mid-suited connectors from UTG is 10000x better than not raising any hands, including AA/KK.

Haupt_234
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM

Good fold. And you were correct to raise with this hand. It's a hand that can make a lot of money early on. I would have made the same line I think.

I have had to lay down KK on a scary board too. It takes some discipline. Most small stakes players do not have this quality. Those are the ones who make you money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2006, 01:00 AM

Is it just me or is folding this a little weak? CO's range includes JJ, QQ, AK, AQ plus a bunch of other garbage pairs and high cards that he might cold call with. Putting him on a ten or QJ is a little pessimistic no? I bet and call this down.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:37 AM

I would use this same play with pretty much any pocket pair (except I'd 3bet preflop from the CO with those). This is going to be a free showdown play pretty often, or a semibluff with a hand like AJ.

I'd definitely have called the turn raise, and check/called most rivers vs. an unknown.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the minority, but from UTG, I do not raise KK or AA. It is only from that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people are really folding to your UTG raises that much, start raising more hands UTG, especially mid-high suited connectors.