Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Tyranny in AC land

I'm not entirely sure why, but AC'er often claim that there is nonagression in AC land. But what's to stop one person from hiring the strongest army and enslaving the rest of the people?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Tyranny in AC land

It would cost too much.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not entirely sure why, but AC'er often claim that there is nonagression in AC land. But what's to stop one person from hiring the strongest army and enslaving the rest of the people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't this happen now?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would cost too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell my army they get a cut of whatever they conquer and pillage. Now it costs me very little.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The government currently does it. But that's exactly what I'm asking. Why wouldn't a single person just do the same thing in AC land?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The government currently does it. But that's exactly what I'm asking. Why wouldn't a single person just do the same thing in AC land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does the government do it now? Try thinking about things for a minute before you post.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too expensive. Offense is much tougher than defense. You get a cut of the loot? Big deal--you're risking your life and in war, 99% of stuff gets destroyed.

Why doesn't the biggest state just conquer the entire planet? If anything, a free market society has less concentration of wealth, so the risk is lower. Germany, France, Russia, the Mongols, the Greeks, and numerous other states have conquered large portions of the world. I don't think Bill Gates could conquer anywhere near that amount, no matter how many mercenaries he hired.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does the government do it now? Try thinking about things for a minute before you post.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you getting at? The government does it maintain its subtle ownership over its territories and to maintain its brand of order and heirarchy. So why can't an individual do the same thing? He decides what he wants is correct so he forcably brings it about. Why are you dodging the question?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tell my army they get a cut of whatever they conquer and pillage. Now it costs me very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that stuff you are going to loot and pillage you could get at half the price if you could just produce something of value for the owner and exchange it.

Violence is costly and is only possible if you have a large tax base that willingly hands over their money, ie the war in Iraq.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The army of everyone else who collectively have a lot more money than he does.