Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Libertarian Party Press Release

as to the 'reach into your pocket part' once upon a time dude, not anymore.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM

I've proudly voted Libertarian in the last two election cycles. As there are no Libertarian candidates, I believe, running for an office that I can vote for this time, I think I will be abstaining (assuming there are no other suitable candidates).
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 PM

I'm very much a person with libertarian ideals, but I only vote for them in specific circumstances. My vote is too powerful to use as an ideological weapon most of the time, and I want to do more than protest everytime I step foot in voting booth.

I typicaly vote for the candidate that I matches my views best or who I feel will do the best job with an actuall chance of being elected. This usually ends up being either a democrat or a republican, but on rare occasions it is a libertarian or an independent.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Smaller Government... Fewer Taxes... More Freedom...

You know, I thought that is what the Republican party stood for. I don't know how well the Libertarians deliver on this, but the Republicans sure as hell are not anymore (if they ever really did).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Republicans say whatever the public seems to be buying in order to get elected.

I'm probably best labeled a libertarian: I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I never bought what the Republicans were selling.

Right now, I'm offended by their willingness to subvert the democratic process. The anti-gambling bill was never able to pass on its own merits, so they found an underhanded way to still get their way.

It's been the Republican's total lack of competence that's frustrated me more than any philosophical differences.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 PM

BTW, if any of you really do find yourself thinking along libertarian lines, you should check out the Cato Institute.

www.cato.org
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Republicans say whatever the public seems to be buying in order to get elected.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, this pretty much describes both Dems and Republicans.

[ QUOTE ]

Right now, I'm offended by their willingness to subvert the democratic process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm offended as well, but I knew this was done by both parties quite liberally over the years. Until now it just didn't really click how horrible this is.

I also know that the Libertarians have some more extreme views that I can't get on board with, such as the Drug legalization and other things.

I'm just pretty digusted with the whole deal right now.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The anti-gambling bill was never able to pass on its own merits, so they found an underhanded way to still get their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

To any and everyone echoing similar comments: you do realize it easily passed the House vote, right?

Of course it sucks that it was passed and will be signed into law, but if it would have received floor time, it would have passed. It didnt recieve floor time because Senators had holds on the bill.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages,

"Republican = Democrat, they're both the same thing, except Democrats are a little more apt to reach into your wallet rather than into your bedroom/living room/computer."

Wrong. You pay the same amount to the Government whether republicans or democrats are in office. The only real difference is how you pay that money and what it gets used for.

"As a lifetime Republican, I'm responsible for this mess, I should've valued my personal freedoms more and put my vote toward protecting them.: ." FYP sir

"I want democracy in its truest form.....majority, majority, majority..."

Technically, this is anarchy. I'm all for it as well but try pitching it to an entire nation.

"Smaller Government... Fewer Taxes... More Freedom...

You know, I thought that is what the Republican party stood for."

Lol
Old 10-04-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Republican = Democrat, they're both the same thing, except Democrats are a little more apt to reach into your wallet rather than into your bedroom/living room/computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is right on the money, but at this point I would be willing to shell out a little more in taxes to keep the Christian Right out of my business.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 PM

My brother told me that the Libertarian party believes the next best thing to them being in power is to have split power in the government. In other words, we need the Republicans to control the House, and the Democrats control the Senate (or vise versa). I cannot confirm that the Libertarian party actually said this, but it makes sence. With split control, we'll have more gridlock. With more gridlock, hopefully stupid bills like this would have never been passed.

Right now we have a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and a Republican President. That's bad. When all three are Democrat, that's bad as well.

For what it's worth, I've been a life long conservative. I've voted Republican for most of my life. Not any more! This next election, I am going to vote either Libertarian or Democrat! And don't tell me that the Republicans stand for smaller government and less money out of your pocket. I use to believe that, but not any more. Both the Democrats and Republicans stand for taking more of my money and for more governmental control. They're both a joke. It's just a matter of the lesser of two evils. The Democrats, at least until they get some power back, are the lesser of two evils.

With that said, any election where a Libertarian could actually win, I will vote that way. Or, for any election where I know my vote doesn't matter (because one of the candidates is too popular), I will vote Libertarian. Hopefully these votes will help show that the Libertarian is gaining strength.

If every poker player started voting Libertarian, that would help. If each poker player could convince ten non poker players to vote Libertarian, then we'd really see some shake up. While the Democrats are unlikely to repeal this stupid anti-internet gambiling law, the Libertarians would.

Everyone, stop toting your party line! Whether you are Democrat or Republican, take a hard look at what your party really is. Then, maybe you too will become Libertarian. In time, just maybe we can make a difference.