Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 AM

Default 97s live 2/5 hand

My stack is about $800 and villain in the hand covers. He has been raising a pretty wide range preflop, while I have had a pretty nitty image since I have had a short stack most of the night and only recently doubled up to reach this stack size. Villain hasn't shown down many hands he has raised preflop with; a couple of times he had a legitimate hand (99/AQs), once he had J9o (a LP raise of 1 limper PF), and once showed A3o that he raised PF from his BB after about 6 limpers (LOL).

Anyway, he raises UTG to $20, 1 CCer and I call in LMP with 9d7d. One of the blinds calls and four of us see a flop.

Flop is Kd Jd 7s. Villain leads out for $20 (LOL), CCer folds, I call, blind folds. HU to the turn, pot is now $120.

Turn 5c. He bets $35 (LOL), I call.

River 4h. He bets $50. I fold.

I think I made a mistake in this hand, so I hope you don't mind me going through my analysis of the hand and asking for feedback.

Preflop seems pretty standard, as there were many deep stacks at the table, and while one preflop raise was common, there were very few reraises (squeezes).

On the flop, I think I have a clear call. I want to give the chance for the BB to stay in the pot with Kx or Jx. The only hands I would want to fold out are K9 or J9. I guess there is also a chance that BB has a bigger diamond draw that would fold for a sizable raise. But I think calling is much better than raising, and obviously folding is out of the question.

The turn I think I screwed up. I have a perfect chance to semibluff raise about $100 more. The key here is that I need to build the pot in case I hit a flush/trips/two pair on the river. I may even fold out hands like A7/88-TT/JT. The only downside is that a set is likely going to 3bet me and blow me out of the pot. I suspect this player would have just called KJ on the turn, but he may also 3bet this hand as well.

Had I raised the turn and been called, then I really have no idea what considerations to give to whether to bluff the river with another barrel or just give up. I would be inclined to give up though.

As played, I think the river is a fold. I think it looks like I have a hand like KQ or AJ that will call a bet of that size, so villain is either valuebetting a strong hand or making a blocking bet with a weakish hand that almost certainly beats mine.

How is my postmortem analysis of this hand? Also, as a side question, what's the smallest stack size you can have to call 97s here preflop in this spot given the description of the table conditions?