Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Some linux help plz

I dual boot my laptop with XP and SUSE 10.1 x86_64. I haven't used the linux partition much since I've had it, but I'm going on a 2 week trip soon and am going to need it to get some work done while I'm gone.

The problem is that none of the powersave features work properly. Suspend to disk seems to work fine, but neither suspend to RAM nor standby work. The ACPI events (eg. lid close) always freeze the system no matter what setting I'm using (s2disk, s2ram...) and I have to manually shut down. But the most annoying part is that plugging in or unplugging to/from AC power always freezes the system. It runs fine on either battery or AC as long as it's booted that way, but I can't switch without first shutting down, (un)plugging, and rebooting.

I've looked everywhere for a solution but have came up empty. It's a Dell Inspiron 640m if that helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Some linux help plz

Lots of laptops have trouble with those features. There's not much you can do in most cases, except get a new laptop. You could try an ubuntu or fedora 7 live CD and see if it works with those systems, but I don't think there's going to be much difference, it's mostly a function of the hardware not being documented well enough for anyone to write the code.

FWIW, inspirons are notoriously bad in this respect (just search bugzilla, etc). Most IBM/lenovo thinkpads work pretty well. I have a T43p and a T60, they both work great.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 AM

I was afraid of that. I can tolerate the command line s2disk, but having to shut down just to unplug the [censored] thing just grates on me. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 AM

Hmm. I tried the ubuntu live CD and it seems to work, but damn it, I don't want to install scipy again. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most IBM/lenovo thinkpads work pretty well. I have a T43p and a T60, they both work great.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, I love my IBM Txx's