Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 06-17-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Am I going at the wrong time?

I'm flying into Vegas early next Sunday, 8am arrival. I plan to play satellites to get chips to enter event 42 on Monday, 5pm, PLO8. The day I arrive, the 50k horse begins. That night, the 1500 mixed hold em. Next day, seniors event, then the one I want.

What concerns me, is that I may be getting into town at the wrong time to get a lot of satellite play. I have over 30 hours before my event, but I can't imagine a lot of Sunday action, except some last minute attempts to get in the 5pm mixed hold em.

Or, am I just completely underestimating the constant action of the WSOP? If you can't tell, this is my first trip.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Am I going at the wrong time?

Honestly, it's a bit difficult to get non-NLHE satellites going at all. THe last 4 years, I've been lucky to get 1 satellite going for each non-holdem event I've wanted to play. The stud/8 events tend to go off the easiest.

If you talk to the satellite coordinators they'll grab you a dealer and announce a satellite for your event. If you manage to get 1/2 a table you'll likely fill (often with a few players who don't even know what game it is), but its an unending series of guy buys in, dealer tells him its omaha, guy leaves.

Of course, you can use lammers from holdem satellites to enter any event you'd like.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 AM

I'd prefer O8, but I'll play NLHE sats if that's what is available. Should I not bother being in the room before noon, or is this a 24 hour thing?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 AM

It's the exact opposite. Noon is when the big tournaments start, so there's no room for satellites. Tables open up a few hours later, and they are open until 10:30ish in the morning. I saw a few sats go long, and they "turboed" them to get them done before noon.

I've played in them as late as 4 am.