Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Gaming PC vs. Xbox 360 vs. PS3

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the time to play through more than 5 or 6 games a year, so game selection isn't as big a deal as graphics. Considering I have a 46" HDTV 720p (DLP), would I be better off with one of the consoles as far as graphics are concerned?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, and this is not close.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is PC the best FPS system easily, unless by that you mean you prefer mouse+kb.

Consoles have Halo, Counter Strike 2, etc.. Unreal 3 will also be on the 360. And then there's the hoards of third/first person tactical shooters - Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, etc.. You can also expect better graphics on consoles as well. Check the specs on the 360's graphics card or just go play Gears of War. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I usually agree with everything you say but I am utterly amazed at how ignorant this post is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, first off. This is an extremely subjective matter. I believe consoles are better than PCs for FPSs right now, unless you have a bias for mouse+kb. This is my OPINION, and my response to the OP. I've supported my opinion, those supporting the PC have failed to offer such support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consoles have a large amount of decent FPS'ers. Halo is pretty great. PC's have a few amazing FPS'ers and alot of worthless ones. CS is far and away the most competitive and skill oriented FPS'er. If you want a lot of variety in different games that will be fun choose a console (360 for sure). If you're looking for hardcore competition focused in 1 or 2 games choose the PC.

They're also not really the same type of games. Halo and most console shooters are more like "get everyone to the same area and spray". PC shooters are more tactical and precise. You can't compare thumbsticks to a mouse and keyboard. Any mediocre player w/ a mouse and keyboard would beat the Poison's at Halo. Possibly 1v2. That doesn't make controller's any worse for playing FPS'ers, it's just a different game. There is no reason to draw battle lines between console and PC shooters.

My overall recommendation for OP is to get a console. Sounds like a casual gamer with a sick TV.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So again I ASK: what, in your (or anybody else's) opinion, makes "PC the best FPS system easily"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you supported your opinion with BS. Nicely done.

I can start listing off titles and technical terms, but it would make zero sense. It is a subjective matter and I love the keyboard + mouse. I don't think it's a coincidence that zero "pros" use a console controller when playing CS/Unreal/Quake/etc.

Now, if OP wants the best graphics and casual game play, I'd recommend a console every day of the week. Graphics don't play a huge role into my gaming opinion (I love games like Liero and Triplane Turmoil). BTW, saying [censored] like "Doom 3 is dark" and GOW isn't, is absurd. GOW is insanely dark. You need an insane computer + game built specifically for PC to display graphics, maybe, on par with some HD games on a nice TV. I have no problem stating that.

Also, I'm probably in the minority since I don't like GOW. Luckily I received it as a gift [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I very rarely find a shooter I enjoy on the console. Goldeneye and Halo 1 are the only titles that pop in my head at the moment.

Also, to the OP: Forza 2 and Nascar 08 look awesome. Since you stated later graphics are what you are going for, I'd get a 360.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can start listing off titles and technical terms, but it would make zero sense. It is a subjective matter and I love the keyboard + mouse. I don't think it's a coincidence that zero "pros" use a console controller when playing CS/Unreal/Quake/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure your 'technical terms' would make sense. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I also don't think it's a coincidence that zero "pros" use controllers when playing CS/Unreal/Quake. Those games were initially PC games, and the "pros" grew up playing them with mouse+keyboards. It makes no sense to compete on a console port using a different interface than what they're used to. Not to mention that console aiming is completely different than PC aiming. This doesn't really say anything besides the gameplay in console FPSs and PC FPSs is not identical, and I don't think anybody was arguing it was.

It wouldn't be nearly as much fun driving a warthog with a mouse+kb, and it probably wouldn't be nearly as much fun playing instagib CTF with controllers. They're just different.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 PM

If you're going to have a lot of friends over and play lots of multiplayer games, consoles are better.

Generally though, the FPS genre tends to be played by a single person alone, and generally the mouse and keyboard combo gives the best control and feel if you ask me. As for racing... those can be good party games, but you can easily enough sync up a whatever-controller to your PC to race it that way.

I'd say... go with the PC.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM

This might help with the KB+M vs. Controller debate.

I personally think that a game MUST be altered somewhat if a controller is to be on the same playing field.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might help with the KB+M vs. Controller debate.

I personally think that a game MUST be altered somewhat if a controller is to be on the same playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neat that controller was beating the mouse+kb. I wonder if the game had any 'enhancements' for the 360/controller version or if it was completely level.