Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: taking small stakes seriously

well that would be a better idea then you goin gout and playing yourself...SMD
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how to care about small little games and not just donk off in these games bc they are so small and don't mean anything to a player of my level who is used to playing 3-6 4-8 games....so SMD

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a mediocre limit player who's played as high as 15/30 online. I still take each hand seriously when I'm baked & playing .02/.04 NL. Hell, I take the freeroll sit & gos on FTP seriously. The only time I don't take a microlimit game seriously is when I'm donking around with a bunch of other 2+2'ers.

Your primary issue here (aside from possible delusions of grandeur and a potential gambling issue) is just a variation of being results oriented. Your goal when you sit down should not be to win money. It should be to play the best poker you can play--winning money is just a bonus that goes along with it.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 AM

thank you finally some worthwhile advise and i agree completly but as much as i try and i have tried i just cannot get in the "mood" when the pots are so small...so i have decided to save up for a month or so and deposit 500 or there abouts and then play a little higher limits and also play some small MTTS
Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 AM

You need to stop thinking in terms of dollars and cents and start seeing it in terms of BB (big bets). Then the actual dollar size doesn't even come into your thinking. You'd only see that you lost 15Bb on one session and gained 21BB on the next session. That is a better judge of your playing then just looking at your BR's dollar value.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM

OP - I see a number of serious issues here.

1. You went broke after a few bad sessions: Tells me you did not have sufficient bankroll to be playing those limits. Mason had a good article in his Essays book about players taking shots at limits beyond their BR.

2. You lost your money by going on tilt: This is a big issue and one you need to address if you are going to play poker (especially NL). I play in a regular game against some pretty savy players who are good except for one fatal flaw . . . tilt factor. All I have to do is wait for these guys to get stuck a buyin or two and then its profit city for me.

3. You need to look at in terms of betting units and not the actual money these units represent. Make your decisions based on the odds and your read of the situation, not based on the ammount of money you have to put in.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thats what i am prob going to do..that or wait a while and see if i can get 500-1000 dollars together and try and go on a sick run playing1-2NL

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems like a plan. Maybe 2-4 would be better. I know you don't want my advice (perhaps I should SMD some more) but then just think about this one: when ego enters the game, money goes out of the door.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Chris Ferguson, ran a dollar into a 20-30K bankroll on UB. It took him two dollars to do it. He busted out with his first dollar.

Now, he is trying to go from ZERO to 10K on Full tilt. He put in a lot of bankroll restrictions on this try, and it is taking him a lot longer to do it, but he isn't busting out either. Its an artificial discipline that he imposed, but you minght want to read his bankroll requirements and adopt some of them yourself.