Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: ? about counteroffers after you put in 2-weeks notice

Will more money make you want to stay, say 6 months from now, or will the underlying reasons behind your decision to leave in the first place still be there?

If it's just about the money then I think it's okay to consider counter offers. Stuff about loyalty, etc. is overblown in this day and age.

If it's about things other than money (commute, office politics) then money won't solve them.

I have never accepted a counter offer, fwiw, and I change jobs about once every 3-4 years.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Yeah I mean I'm 95% out the door and on my way to the new firm. And of course money is a big part of it because that is a big part of why I work. I want to be prepared with other opinions should they offer something bigger than I planned so I don't have to go off of the advice of someone with a vested interest in my decision.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Why should it take you leaving for your company to offer you more money? They obviously liked your work, yet they underpaid you while they had the fund but held out until you threatened them with leaving, that seems wrong to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Tripsearching nailed it:
Why are you suddenly worth more today than you were yesterday? Why? Because you're now ready to leave, and that's going to cost your company money. It will cost them in business interruption, time/resources to hire your replacement and time/resources to train your replacement. It's easier/cheaper for them to throw money at the problem.

As for the headhunter, she does not represent you. She works for your future employer. They pay her fee, and her loyalty is to them. Don't take the job because of her or her pressure, but don't turn it down for that reason either.

I would never advise anyone to take a counter-offer, but you have to do what's right for you.

--Headhunter
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should it take you leaving for your company to offer you more money? They obviously liked your work, yet they underpaid you while they had the fund but held out until you threatened them with leaving, that seems wrong to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how this corporation works based on my conversations with other fellow employees who have left, and I agree that it is really backwards. My boss is one of the most penny pinching scrooge's you'll ever meet, and his way of thinking/doing things is the main reason I'm leaving. After thinking about this last night, I think the only reason I made this post is because I'm nervous about starting my new position.

The meeting today was basically them asking me if money would make me stay. I said no.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know an awful lot about this stuff, but tug leads me to believe that you are somehow violating the trust of the headhunter by accepting a counteroffer? if that's so, that should impact your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, no. Take the recruiter completely out of the equation, he doesn't matter and is only a facilitator in the process. The candidate owes the recruiter nothing both literally and figuratively.

When I speak with someone for the first time I try to mine out why they're looking to make a move (sometimes it's not obvious or they'll give you a red herring reason first). Once I've identified what I think is the reason, I then ask if they've discussed it with their employer to see if they can work out their differences. I ask this not only to be comfortable that they're committed to moving for the right position, but also if they pull some counteroffer crap down the line I can point back to this exchange in an effort to hold them accountable for their actions.

Just because a candidate doesn't owe a recruiter anything doesn't give them license to waste the recruiter's time.

Also, people who accept counteroffers are dead to me 90+% of the time, the very rare circumstances where I've reengaged I've made it clear that it's not going to happen again. But mostly I think people who accept them are dumb and that's reason enough to avoid them in the future.