Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: FT option to request support and pause the tournament if players unanimously agree.
Great Idea! wooh whooo! 42 67.74%
Good idea 13 20.97%
no opinion / don't care / neutral opinion 7 11.29%
Bad Idea Jeans 0 0%
horrible, stinky, icky idea. blech. 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Redskins vs Giants

Where do you want me to start? How about the opponent's success rates on (a) 3rd down and (b) 3rd and long (at least 6 yds, say)? Why, on 3rd and 6, do his cover men give a 10-yard cushion, which they can't close? Why wouldn't he blitz once in a while on 3rd down?

Even Collinsworth made a comment last night about the ridiculous zones the Giants play.

Why don't you tell me what Tim Lewis does well?

Edit to add: Giants are last in NFC in first downs allowed and are tied for last in the NFC in third down conversions allowed. Unfortunately I have not found a stat yet on 3rd and long, but I am quite confident it is atrocious.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you want me to start? How about the opponent's success rates on (a) 3rd down and (b) 3rd and long (at least 6 yds, say)? Why, on 3rd and 6, do his cover men give a 10-yard cushion, which they can't close? Why wouldn't he blitz once in a while on 3rd down?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants' defense is 25th in the league in 3rd down conversion rate, but it's a stetch to blame the coordinator. A simpler explanation would be that the Giants' secondary contains very little talent, while their pass rushing DEs were ineffective early in the year and mostly injured later. Madison, Webster, and McQuarters represent one of the worst CB groups in the NFL. Safety Will Demps is good against the run but a liability in pass coverage.

Strahan missed 7 games. Umenyiora missed 6 games. DT William Josph missed 6 games. CB Corey Webster missed 5 games. Sam Madison missed 4 games. Taken together, their starting OLBs (Arrington and Emmons) missed half the season. Gibril Wilson, the only above-average player in the secondary, missed only one game but played banged up for a lot of the year.

And, believe it or not, last year the defense had even more injuries. To field an average or better defense with an untalented secondary and a hideously banged up Front 7 is actually a nice little accomplishment.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:28 AM

random/off topic:

1. did anybody hear a big belch (presumably from either Gumble or Collinsworth) like midway through the 3rd quarter? My buddy taped the game with his DVR and we're going to review it when we have some time. It was loud as hell.

2. My thoughts on Tom Caughlin: he seems to have the reputation of a disciplinarian and not much else. Well, if you have a team who's going to make stupid plays, commit bad penalties, and blow late-game leads, then clearly the team is undiscipined. If that's the case, you probably don't need him as your coach. Why don't they bring in someone who can either motivate better (IMO, he seems to have lost the respect of his players) or develop young QBs better (Eli could probably use a better mentor).

I'm curious to hear from the Giants fans about what they think should be done with their coaching situation.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 AM

Somebody needs to give Mariuchi a job
Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
random/off topic:

1. did anybody hear a big belch (presumably from either Gumble or Collinsworth) like midway through the 3rd quarter? My buddy taped the game with his DVR and we're going to review it when we have some time. It was loud as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually addressed that in the 4th quarter. They said that it was a microphone that picked it up from somewhere outside of the booth.

[ QUOTE ]

2. My thoughts on Tom Caughlin: he seems to have the reputation of a disciplinarian and not much else. Well, if you have a team who's going to make stupid plays, commit bad penalties, and blow late-game leads, then clearly the team is undiscipined. If that's the case, you probably don't need him as your coach. Why don't they bring in someone who can either motivate better (IMO, he seems to have lost the respect of his players) or develop young QBs better (Eli could probably use a better mentor).

I'm curious to hear from the Giants fans about what they think should be done with their coaching situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a strange thing, as despite the players and coaches changing, dumb plays and lack of discipline has seemingly been a problem for the last 4-5 years through both Fassell and Coughlin.

My biggest coaching gripe (and I think that of many) this year has not been Coughlin, but Tim Lewis. Maybe he should consider blitzing more than, oh, say twice per game. We've sat back in cover-2 all year, send 4 guys ever down, and NEVER get any pressure on the QB. I understand we don't have an all-pro secondary that we can leave hung out to dry, but I don't care what you have in your secondary, if you send 4 and give the QB all day to throw the ball, he will always find someone open to complete it to.

(Unless that QB is Eli, in which case he will find the receiver open, but throw it either 2 feet over his head, or behind him).
Old 01-01-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
random/off topic:

[/ QUOTE ]

Coughlin is likely gone. It sucks that we go through coaches faster than hookers go through condoms, but it's part of the business I guess.

Tim Lewis is gone. He used to be all about aggression and applying pressure to QBs when he was in Pittsburgh. Now late in the game, he is all about 3 and 4 man rushes, dropping into cover zones and pretty much giving ample time for teams to complete their passes. Pressure, pressure, pressure.

I forgot which poster mentioned it, but Mariucci may actually be a nice fit for the Giants if he can handle the pressure of coaching a big market football team.

Another great option is Ron Rivera, current DC for the Bears. He's led two great defensive units: one in Philly and one in Chicago. Maybe he can get some aggression into that Giants defensive unit.

---------------------

However, I feel that the most likely option for Coughlin's job would be Mike Martz. He's a great offensive mind stuck on a struggling team. He was once the coach for an aggressive, high-powered Rams offense and led them far. I'm sure that he would love to regain the head coaching position again.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 AM

Mike Martz would interesting, just get a good defensive coordinater, someone who can field a good defense like Lovie Smith did in St Louis, and make him take some classes on how to manage the clock and use his timeouts, and he'd be perfect.