Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Exiting a PLO8 Tournament on a Missed Draw

I'm new here, but not to Omaha8. I play at Stars under revlovejoy. I had 3 final tables in PLO8 the last week, one win and 2 3rds. I have prior wins, but this last week I just seem to be crushing the SNGs I play, as well as doing well in the MTT's.

Still, I cannot help but do the exact thing I laugh at other people for. It seems that I have a penchant for early exits on missed low draws. Not just naked A2s, but situations with str8 draws, backup for counterfeiting, or other potential scoops. Still, if the flop has 2 lows, and the aggressor pots it, I call, and when a 9 hits the turn, I end up all in and praying for a river. AA36 takes out my AK23.

Under what circumstances is it just part of tournament poker to go out this way? On an unpaired board, 2 lows, nut flush draw, I will probably never be able to lay it down to aggression, I may even be the raiser. When do you lay it down? I may be suffering from selective memory, in that I don't count the times I get there and go on in a tournament, I only remember the dramatic exits.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Exiting a PLO8 Tournament on a Missed Draw

I don't lay it down...I raise.

Chip accumulation is even more important in PLO8 tournaments than in HE tournaments. There was a post in the MTT forum(I think) that discussed how it can be +EV to take -EV situations in the mid/early stages of a tournament because having a big stack allows you to bully on the bubble, which is obviously huge +EV and that makes up for it.

I think that this concept is even more true in PLO and PLO8 when no one hand is very dominant preflop. If you're playing an average online tourney, the blinds are going to quickly rise in comparison to the average stack size and as you reach the bubble, a pot sized raise preflop will most likely commit many people to the pot. I've found that you can completely run over a table on the bubble here. Also at the final table when each spot is a decent leap in money, you can very much play the role of bully if you're the big stack.

With that said, this is a decision on my part to try to accumulate chips early in PLO8 tournament(I don't usually play this way in HE tourneys where I'm a much bigger fan of "survival tactics"). Others will swear by taking few chances and just playing the survival game.

So first off I think you need to decide your tournament strategy. Which one better suits your strengths? If you decide to follow me, then I have no problem with you busting out when you miss your nut low AND nut flush draws(must have both though). However, I would rather be the aggressor. Maybe try to check raise instead of just check/calling the flop. This gives you a ton of added fold equity, and if you're playing against observant players(honestly you're most likely not at these tournaments, but you didn't mention what stakes you play so I don't know) then they will definitely take note that you're willing to make an aggressive play without a made hand, and you may get paid off later.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM

Thanks forn the input. It reaffirmed my belief. As for stakes, $22-$33 usually, $55 and higher occasionally.

I did notice that once my aggression factor went up, I was placing higher. I agree with you, that early chip accumulation is more vital in a PLO8 than a NLHE tournament. I used to play PLO8 to survive to the money line, and bubbled something like 6 in a row. I decided to bet instead of call, and it's amazing how my results have changed. It isn't a case of loosening my standards, I have something when I raise. I usually see the same people at these tournaments, and the regulars will respect my raises.

Early on I have to have a really strong hand, since the riff raff call anything, and I have to earn those pots. Once I do, I am in good position for midgame.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:12 PM

Assani is right (i didnt read his whole post, just the first line). Theres nothing wrong with going broke with a draw, as long as you arent playing it passively. Raising all in with nut low draw + flush draw is a world better than calling all in with it. In the second situation, you dont need us to tell you how well you did, you can figure the pot odds for yourself.