Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Div III: 2 vs. 7
Escape From Alcatraz 74 94.87%
Joe Kidd 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Another \"who gets kicked in the nutz\"

[ QUOTE ]
Similar story....playing 1/2 NL last night two guys go all in with a straight each using one card from their hand for a tied pot. They both have tabled the hand. Dealer grabs one players cards, turns them face down puts in the muck and starts to push the pot to the other player without chopping it up. The table almost collectively is trying to get out a "wait" (including the guy the pot is being pushed to) when the dealer realizes his mistake. Dealer calls over the floor and explains what happens.

Floor asks if anyone else at the table can verify which we all do including the guy the pot is being pushed to. The floor person then tells the mucked card guy he is responsible for protecting his hand! He had already tabled the winning hand what the hell is he suppose to protect?

[/ QUOTE ]

His cards with his fingers, dealer never gets a shot at my cards until my money is en route.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

I got a lot of flack from one of the respected players at the table after the hand. He was not involved in this hand, but said that he would be really pissed at me had he been in the pot and I was trying to make him lose the pot.

I said that I was just trying to protect the integrity of the game, and that the best hand should win. He said its a lesson all new players learn at some point. I disagree whole-heartedly.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a lot of flack from one of the respected players at the table after the hand. He was not involved in this hand, but said that he would be really pissed at me had he been in the pot and I was trying to make him lose the pot.

I said that I was just trying to protect the integrity of the game, and that the best hand should win. He said its a lesson all new players learn at some point. I disagree whole-heartedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time listen to the respected players at your table. Your story has all sorts of perceptions that you wrote that maybe only you felt. Maybe the other player had no idea that his hand was any good? Maybe he really is that bad. How would you know that he had the best hand if all he showed was one Queen that was already beaten by a par of ducks? He didn't table his hand so don't get involved.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time listen to the respected players at your table. Your story has all sorts of perceptions that you wrote that maybe only you felt. Maybe the other player had no idea that his hand was any good? Maybe he really is that bad. How would you know that he had the best hand if all he showed was one Queen that was already beaten by a par of ducks? He didn't table his hand so don't get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did make some assumptions in this situation. I knew he was a new player, so I assumed he did not understand that he, not the dealer, had to turn over his cards for them to speak. I made the assumption that he also felt he had the best hand after being told that there was a 2 on the board, based on his reaction and his willingness to try and turn his hand over. I believe that everyone else at the table would agree with those assumptions, including the opponent.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM

The floor at Resorts receives the biggest kick in the nuts because they are so consistently bad. I played there for years and in situations like this when the floor was called over I can remember thinking "I wonder what the ruling is going to be today?" One floor will rule that any forward motion with your cards face down is a muck, another will rule that the cards are not mucked until they reach the muck, and another will retrieve cards from the muck ,it's such a [censored] joke there.

OP, you should just keep your mouth shut but your intentions were good so you are alright in my book.

If I was the guy with the pair of deuces I would have told the dealer to ship the other man the pot as soon as I saw that I did not have the best hand. For anyone on here that would not do that, I consider you scum.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy tabled his hand. It doesn't matter if he knew it was good or not. My understanding (and what I base my actions on) is that cards speak. So if he turns his cards up, it doesn't matter if he doesn't know what he has. And if he's turned his cards up and the dealer mucks them by mistake he should still be entitled to his share of the pot when the whole table can verify what he had.

Obviously if he tables his hand and no one sees it, then its tough luck for him and he should protect his cards. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG WRONG WRONG! You are TOTALLY off base here. This is a simple matter of explaining the rules and procedures to a new player who was about to (and ultimately did) get screwed by his lack of understanding. That is *NOT* violating one player to a hand, and I don't give a flying rodent's rump whether someone else at the table likes or doesn't like it. I do not have to sit idle and watch as a new player gets screwed by rules nits. Anyone trying to win the pot this way is simply a low-life cheat in my book. Sputter away at me all you like, but I'm gonna open my mouth every time I see something like this happen at a game with n00bies.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The floor at Resorts receives the biggest kick in the nuts because they are so consistently bad. I played there for years and in situations like this when the floor was called over I can remember thinking "I wonder what the ruling is going to be today?" One floor will rule that any forward motion with your cards face down is a muck, another will rule that the cards are not mucked until they reach the muck, and another will retrieve cards from the muck ,it's such a [censored] joke there.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I hate whenever the floor gets called over to make a ruling at resorts. I can pretty much decide in my mind what the correct ruling should be, and then I know what is NOT going to be the decision. I don't know if we are allowed to name names, but the floorman from Eastern Europe has gotten practically every decision I've seen him made incorrect. He also is not very pleasant which doesn't help.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Big difference. In your story the guy with kk mucks the hand without showing cards to the table. Yes you could see it, but the table couldnt. In the OP's story the guy turned over a card to show the table. It should not have been a muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Turning over one card is the same as turning over no cards. Show a HAND or muck it and let's play the next one.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Op is fine because this is a showdown and the action is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is the wrong reason. A player may not tell another player to table his hand just because it is showdown. However OP doesn't get a kick in the nuts here because he didn't speak until it was clear that the player was trying to table his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sir. It is a showdown, and the "one player to a hand" rule no longer applies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is that written? Cards don't speak until they are tabled. One card isn't "cards".