Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Moneymaker folding pocket kings preflop in Event #3

Chris Moneymaker Makes Unfortunate Laydown

Chris Moneymaker makes it 1,500 under the gun. Mike Banducci in late position re-raises to 6,200. The small blind goes all in for 24,000 and the big blind also goes all in for his last 8,100. Moneymaker and Banducci both fold. The small blind has 5d5s and the big blind has AdKd and the board is Js 7s 8h 2h 3s. Moneymaker said after the hand that he folded kings.

Is it just me or am I not folding KK in this spot...
Old 06-03-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Moneymaker folding pocket kings preflop in Event #3

This is a question only you can answer IMO.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Chris Moneymaker makes it 1,500 under the gun. Mike Banducci in late position re-raises to 6,200. The small blind goes all in for 24,000 and the big blind also goes all in for his last 8,100. Moneymaker and Banducci both fold. The small blind has 5d5s and the big blind has AdKd and the board is Js 7s 8h 2h 3s. Moneymaker said after the hand that he folded kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a raise, a re-raise an all in and yet an ANOTHER all in, and you don't want to even CONSIDER folding kings? What about Queens, hmm?

I saw on TV where a simular thing happened, and it was then, that someone who layed down pocket queens.

When everyone turned over, one had pocket aces, another pocket queens, yet another pocket jacks and yet another pocket 10's. All of those hands called the person (and he had the pocket aces) who had went all in.

The pocket 10's BTW, won that race.

You BTW, are NOT Mr Moneymaker, you don't know if he's played those players before, if he picked up some sort of tell you didn't see, and last but not least, you don't REALLY know what you'd do until you are actually in that situation.

JMO, FWIW ....
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 AM

No fold for me. But its hard to say.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a raise, a re-raise and an all in, and you don't want to even CONSIDER folding kings? What about Queens, hmm?

I saw on TV where a simular thing happened, and it was then, that someone who layed down pocket queens.

When everyone turned over, one had pocket aces, another pocket queens, yet another pocket jacks and yet another pocket 10's. All of those hands called the person (and he had the pocket aces) who had went all in.

The pocket 10's BTW, won that race.

You BTW, are NOT Mr Moneymaker, you don't know if he's played those players before, if he picked up some sort of tell you didn't see, and last but not least, you don't REALLY know what you'd do until you are actually in that situation.

JMO, FWIW ....

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a serious post?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 AM

If I had a stack that covered all of them i would atleast consider a call due to the fact that I would most likely win a sidepot with the small blind who had the next biggest stack (as long as he doesn't have AA). Lots of donks play this event I wouldn't be surprised with seeing KQ and lower pairs in their ranges. I guess I would've taken my chances to take down a big pot, if someone has aces so be it.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 AM

Cornell Fiji, yes, actually it is. My point really is, you don't know what you'd actually do until you yourself was actually in that spot.

It's easy to say you'd never do something, but if you think about it, there is still ONE hand that can beat Kings before the flop, and that's pocket aces.

With that much action preflop, at the very least, I'd be at LEAST thinking about perhaps laying the kings down, thinking I might be beat preflop already with pocket aces.

Even in the scenerio you gave, the person with A/K could of gotten lucky and spiked his ace as well.

The only exception is if I was already short stacked, and then I'd be in like a shot (and hoping that no one had the rockets already).

As I'm sure you know, tournament poker is played differently than cash games. In a cash game, you're right, it's best to take your chances. However, in a tourney, where you tourney life is at stake, or where someone can cripple you, it's best to weigh your options in a situation like you discribed, and yes, lay kings down if you think you might be beat pre-flop.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Depending on the blinds and the depth of Mike, this could be a fold. If blinds are 150/300/50 or something, and Mike is like 15k deep and Chris covers everyone, I don't hate a fold here at all.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the blinds and the depth of Mike, this could be a fold. If blinds are 150/300/50 or something, and Mike is like 15k deep and Chris covers everyone, I don't hate a fold here at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they were 300/600/some ante, as soon after this hand was reported they went up to 400/800/some ante.

I don't think I can fold KK for ~40 BB.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 AM

O GREAT now moneymaker decides to make laydowns.