Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: ESPN sets new standard for premature analysis. Talk of undefeated

[ QUOTE ]
I hope they do it even though I hate them with a passion just so all the '72 losers can STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the hate for the undefeated Miami team that has a champagne toast every year when the last undefeated team loses. They did it and earned the right I would say. Remember those guys played before all the big money. If they get off on this ritual every year, why should it bother anyone?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope they do it even though I hate them with a passion just so all the '72 losers can STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the hate for the undefeated Miami team that has a champagne toast every year when the last undefeated team loses. They did it and earned the right I would say. Remember those guys played before all the big money. If they get off on this ritual every year, why should it bother anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

People hate successful teams. It's just human nature.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People hate successful teams. It's just human nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and Shula pwn3d the refs back then. They're also insanely smug in ways other than the champagne.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM

The 72' team should stop living in the past. Their accomplishment is not diminished in the least if someone goes 16-0, or validated further if no one does. Two different eras, completely different team structures and factors involved. Going undefeated lacks any relevance if it doesn't translate into a SB title, so who cares? Do these guys sit around, waiting to travel to meet each other when someone goes down in flames on Sunday afternoon? What if no one gets past 3-0? Kind of idiotic to be thrilled during Week 4.

As to the original topic, ESPN is simply trying to fill space with what it consders to be "interesting" banter. Very idiotic. Move on, wait until week 10 or so when the possibility is much closer to happening, and when the remaining teams on the schedule can be better analyzed.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 72' team should stop living in the past. Their accomplishment is not diminished in the least if someone goes 16-0, or validated further if no one does. Two different eras, completely different team structures and factors involved. Going undefeated lacks any relevance if it doesn't translate into a SB title, so who cares? Do these guys sit around, waiting to travel to meet each other when someone goes down in flames on Sunday afternoon? What if no one gets past 3-0? Kind of idiotic to be thrilled during Week 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a team goes 16-0 and then loses in the playoffs they haven't had an undefeated season and the 72 Dolphins record would still stand. They went undefeated and won the Super Bowl.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't get the hate for the undefeated Miami team that has a champagne toast every year when the last undefeated team loses.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have mellowed with age. Some of those guys, especially Nick Buoniconti, used to be real jerks about it every time the last undefeated team lost. Also the media has stopped giving them so much attention, so they aren't as annoying as they used to be.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM

I'll give Nick Buonoconti a pass for just about anything. He's had quite a cross to bear with his son getting paralyzed.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure what you're trying to do other then make my point for me. Thanks, I guess? Reading helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Mercury Morris is the poster boy for why people hate the '72 Dolphins. His comments a couple years ago when the Colts were giving it a good run were so unbelievably petty and angry.

Also, there is the fact that they played about the softest schedule imaginable. No team they played in the regular season made the playoffs. They played only 2 teams with winning records, both 8-6. Congratulations on winning the SB, but the undefeated season was predicated on a huge scheduling fluke that is impossible in todays NFL (every team will play at least 2 division winners every year now).
Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as soon as the Pats clinch home field advantage for the playoffs, Belichick will back off

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd believe this about most teams, but the Pats have already won 3 SBs. If they have a shot at going undefeated they'll go for it, even if it puts them at a greater risk of getting someone hurt and blowing it.

Historically speaking, the difference between 3 Pats SBs and 4 is going to be almost nil in 20 years. If they go undefeated they'll have another jewel in the crown.