Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Check out Joe Morgan\'s ESPN Chat today!

It's actually infuriating that Joe Morgan hates on the stats that made him one of the best second basemen to play the game.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's weird, Joe Morgan has said before that he thinks stats are bad. Then he explains why batting average doesn't work, because it doesn't account for players who walk more or players who hit for power.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are brief flashes where it seems like he intuitively understands the importance of certain ideas, like getting on base and scoring runs, patience, power (i.e. stuff he did well as a player) combine that with his understanding of how the game is played (i.e. how an infielder fields the ball and how he should turn a double play, what a hitter does with his backfoot, etc.) then you get the impression where he could be a pretty good commentator.
but then 3 minutes later completely dismisses or nullifies anything he says by saying something that completely contradicts himself or is downright retarded.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but then 3 minutes later completely dismisses or nullifies anything he says by saying something that completely contradicts himself or is downright retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like saying Luis Castillo wasn't used to the wind at Wrigley because he played his entire career in the AL. Which he did Sunday night. Despite Castillo playing all but one of his previous 11 seasons with the Marlins.

But hey, Joe's a Hall of Famer. What do any of us know?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 AM

Joe would be better if he could stay consistent.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM

JOECHAT is the best thing ever.

He's the best because anybody can be wrong about stats, or whatever, but Joe can ever be wrong about HIMSELF!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also find it funny that he doesn't like "moneyball" players and teams. Newsflash Joe, you're a "moneyball player", you walked your ass off and hit for power, plus having a low caught stealing percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's also number 11 on the career steals list.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe would be better if he could stay consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know if I can agree with this statement, because I haven't heard him call any games this year. But people tell me he needs to be more consistent.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 PM

The Joe Morgan hate is blown way out of proportion. He's a good announcer. Of course some things are annoying. Like his knob slobbering over Gary Sheffield. But nobody is perfect.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Ahaha, firejoemorgan has the chat up. Love this exchange.

[ QUOTE ]
Carl (NY): Hey Joe, watched you gorwin up, you were one of the best ever! How much does switching leagues hurt a player, say like Luis Castillo, who played their entire career in the other league?

KT: Those of you who don't get this reference, see the post below, which recaps a recent broadcast wherein Joe asserted that Luis Castillo, he of 10+ years in Florida, was unfamiliar with Wrigley Field's winds because he had spent his entire career in the AL. Much hay was made of this, both on our site and many others. How will Joe respond?

Joe Morgan: It used to be a big difference in the leagues. The umpires used to be different. The AL was a breaking ball league. The NL was a fastball league. It's changed now because the umpires are all the same, the players switch leagues more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also find it funny that he doesn't like "moneyball" players and teams. Newsflash Joe, you're a "moneyball player", you walked your ass off and hit for power, plus having a low caught stealing percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan has a low self esteem because he spent his entire career clogging up the bases. Like Joe said, it's not how many times you get on base, it's what you do when you get on base.