Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to go from my current 8:55 pace after not running much over the last dozen years,I'm 44 to a 7:30 pace. I been back running about 2 months ..my plan is to run 5K's every other weekend and build up my weekly mileage to 25 miles from 15 miles now. Also doing fartlek, hills and or speedwork at least 2-3 times a week as long as my body isnt overly stressed. Speed work can be very tough on your joints and nervous system...it even messes with my Masters swimming sessions and kills me on days where I do PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm half your age literally, but i have decided that, overall, running long distances often isn't worth it. I see way more gains in speed and time on long runs from things like HIIT, homemade Crossift (which has running in it also), and weights.

I try and do HIIT (20 sec 10 rest interval sprints) 2 times a week, run 3 miles twice a week, and run a longer 4- 4.5 miles on the weekend.

I have seen my conditioning improve immensely by varying my work like this and have gone from about an 8:30 to a 7:30 in a few weeks. my goal is to run the 10k in a 7:30 pace which I can't do right now. I will be happy with anythin sub 8 min/mile though.

Back when I used to run 20-25 miles a week, both of my knees had tendinitis, my feet felt terrible, I didn't lose any weight (i started running b/c i was fat). So there I was 25 lbs overweight running a 7:45 mile while fighting through terrible knee pain. God it sucked.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just did my heaviest work with rack pulls tonite...w/ straps from the second pin (knee height)...height 5'7 weight 170lbs

warm up sets -
1x10 @45
1x10 @95
1x10 @135
1x5 @225
1x5 @315 - straps

work sets
2x5 @405 - straps

405 is the heaviest lift i've ever done..woot...will probably create a log starting next week if i remember...

also: unban thremp please, this forum has been kinda boring the last couple days...

[/ QUOTE ]
damn, good job man. How much do you deadlift btw? I imagine it's just a bit below those numbers.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 AM

I haven't been in the gym for 9 days now, I figured I'd take a week off to recover. I feel terrible, my back is killing me, feels like my spine/ribs are all out of place. This was just a little nagging problem when I was working out consistantly, feels like everything has just come loose because of not getting any work. I'm planning on starting up again tomorrow and then seeing an ART guy, hopefully it will go back to feeling like it did (which still isn't great).

At least my hips and shins are feeling better from not doing anything GHR's or low squatting. Kinda looking forward to getting back in the gym, but at the same time I feel I'm getting a little lazy. Hopefully this will pass.

Oh and I won't be able to attend my next 2 olympic lifting classes, [censored].
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just did my heaviest work with rack pulls tonite...w/ straps from the second pin (knee height)...height 5'7 weight 170lbs

warm up sets -
1x10 @45
1x10 @95
1x10 @135
1x5 @225
1x5 @315 - straps

work sets
2x5 @405 - straps

405 is the heaviest lift i've ever done..woot...will probably create a log starting next week if i remember...

also: unban thremp please, this forum has been kinda boring the last couple days...

[/ QUOTE ]
damn, good job man. How much do you deadlift btw? I imagine it's just a bit below those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks keys,
ive never really tried a max deadlift, but a couple weekends ago i did 315 for a double w/ no straps...so maybe around 335 or so...for me the bottom part is a killer cuz im so short and i have to be pretty low just to reach the bar [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bleck, sort of aggravated my knee biking and it's all swollen under the kneecap. I'm supposed to squat today and I really mucking want to do it and kick some ass but I'm not sure if I should. ARG

[/ QUOTE ]
aggravated? What happened to it before? Is it runner's knee? If so, I'd definitely rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what it is but I just read up on runner's knee and that sounds exactly like my symptoms. Hurts worse now so I'm skipping the squats. RAAAARG. I'm supposed to go on a hard bike ride Monday so I'm gonna rest and ice this weekend. God dang injuries make getting fit so much harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm retarded, I went and did a 45 mile ride today and it's killing me again. Ok, now I'm actually gonna lay off it for a while.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bleck, sort of aggravated my knee biking and it's all swollen under the kneecap. I'm supposed to squat today and I really mucking want to do it and kick some ass but I'm not sure if I should. ARG

[/ QUOTE ]
aggravated? What happened to it before? Is it runner's knee? If so, I'd definitely rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what it is but I just read up on runner's knee and that sounds exactly like my symptoms. Hurts worse now so I'm skipping the squats. RAAAARG. I'm supposed to go on a hard bike ride Monday so I'm gonna rest and ice this weekend. God dang injuries make getting fit so much harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm retarded, I went and did a 45 mile ride today and it's killing me again. Ok, now I'm actually gonna lay off it for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's funny, I thought using the bicycle was ok for patellar femoral pain. That's what they put me on to warmup at the physical therapist. It could just be the volume of work you did too. I dunno, go see a doc.