Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Dealing with bad players NLTRN

I seem to be doing reasonably well at $5 SNGs and am moving up to $10 SNGs. However, at that level there are still plenty of bad players, and I find I get so frustrated with their play it can put me on tilt and I end up leaking chips and losing.

Three different types of player I see consistently and get frustated with:

1) Min raise every time they have the button.

2) Min bet every flop

3) All in every hand

Some, particularly the 3rd are hard to believe, but I see it all the time.

1) I try to restrict my range, but if I do this I feel I'm losing like 60% of my BBs to what are probably crap hands.

2) Again, if I fold everytime I have nothing 66% of the time he'll win the blinds without a fight.

3) I wait and call with 99+, AJ+ and KQ, does that sound about right?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Dealing with bad players

1) reraise him from time to time regardless. If you do this one time every 2 he steals ur BB ur breaking-even.

2) Again that's classic if a guy is doing always the same thing I try to ignore it and think of it as a standart. If its a minbet everyflop if hes OOP I pretend he checked, if he's IP I pretend is a c-bet.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM

I think there was topic that discussed these type of players. The blinds are pretty low assuming your playing regular HU sng's, so just wait for your hand and shove it back into him or call his all in. All you can do is hope for the best with your +EV hand.

I have played over 1000 $10 HU sng's, I have had min bettors and every hand shovers, but they do not make up a huge significant number to really have you worry too much.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Against min bettors, i would reraise with top/middle pair. Also, once you have developed a read on villian, u can consider floating the flop otb. Most of these min-bettors, from my experience, seldom triple barrel and some may even give up after the flop, and thats when u can make a move
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM

1) and 2) are extremely frustrating for me and I'm working on not going on mad tilt. I'm getting a lot better about it. If a guy is truly going allin every hand (or almost every hand), then it doesn't put me on tilt because it makes my decisions pretty easy for the most part.

edit-
1) I'm calling with a pretty wide range, especially in the early rounds
2) I'll start calling these guys down extremely lightly.
3) If they are shoving EVERY HAND then clearly just wait for a hand that has something like 58% or more equity against a random hand (QJo has 58% equity against a random hand) and call. If they seem to be somewhat selective about shoving (not doing it quite every hand), then I will tighten up my calling range a bit as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM

I pretty much autoraise any minbet in a raised pot, probably a leak but it seems to work. Even if they call the raise they'll usually fold to a big follow up bet. Maybe I'm too aggressive but the minbets are really annoying and most of the time they really do mean a weak hand.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still pretty much a beginner, so if this is bad strategy someone please let me know. I see this a lot also and treat it just like I'm on the button and first to act. I fold, call, and raise with the exact same hands as when I'm on the button.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Min bet every flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen this one yet. I guess I might treat it like he checked.

[ QUOTE ]
3) All in every hand

[/ QUOTE ]

In the first few hands, I'm only calling with something like 88+, AQ+. I've never had anybody keep this up more than 5-6 hands, because by that time they figure out that I'm only calling with hands where I'll be a huge favorite. If someone did keep this up, I'd probably loosen my range to any pair, any ace, K9+, QT+, or something like that.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still pretty much a beginner, so if this is bad strategy someone please let me know. I see this a lot also and treat it just like I'm on the button and first to act. I fold, call, and raise with the exact same hands as when I'm on the button.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Min bet every flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen this one yet. I guess I might treat it like he checked.

[ QUOTE ]
3) All in every hand

[/ QUOTE ]

In the first few hands, I'm only calling with something like 88+, AQ+. I've never had anybody keep this up more than 5-6 hands, because by that time they figure out that I'm only calling with hands where I'll be a huge favorite. If someone did keep this up, I'd probably loosen my range to any pair, any ace, K9+, QT+, or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not on the button. The idea of being on the button is that you get to act last on every street (except preflop). If you're on the BB, you're not on the button, that simple. That said, I do loosen my BB calling range quite a bit against people who minraise every button, especially if they are passive postflop.

For #2, treating it like he checked is probably almost correct but calling even a minbet (because you're treating it like a check) when you have almost no chance of winning the hand is pretty bad. Of course you probably knew this and this is not exactly what you meant.

As far as calling a guy who shoves preflop every hand, your "loosened up" range is a LITTLE too loose imo. If they are shoving every hand I'd prolly call with the range you gave except shave the bottom few hands off all of the 4 types you listed (not calling with 22 or 33, and maybe not 44). Might not call with the worst Aces. Prolly wont call with K9, maybe KT. Calling with QJ+.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM

waxhax0rs K9o vs random = nuts (57,8% equity)

Altought I think it depends on the blind-to-stack ratio.
If the blinds are too big that folding 5 or 6 hands in a row will leave you in bad shape, then I'll happily call. Obv if villain is allin every hand from the start I have plenty of time to wait for a big hand. The problem with that is villain (if he isn't retard or a robot) will sooner realize you are waiting for a good hand + his stack is not growing enough/your is not shrinking quickly enough. With that in mind I think that depending on my mood I can probably call with K9o in the 4th shove.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM

3 is fun to play against because of the great edge.

2 as well, but it's not as easy and can be more frustrating.

1 shouldn't really be frustrating in a sense that they are a bad player, minraising the button, even when deep, is not that terrible of a leak. It allows you to play more hands OOP when deep, which can turn into an advantage for the button if he's a decent player postflop.