Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Earning $ with WOW - advice from you addicts please :)

I used to play WOW...way back when it was still a fairly new game. I've still kept slightly in-touch with the community, but haven't really had the desire (or time) to play the game a hobby. I'm a poker pro and really dont have any financial worries. I can never put in more than 120h/month playing poker, so I'm looking for some kind of hobby to bring in some money in between poker sessions.

THE POINT:
I like games, and always have. I'd like to find some kind of way to make a decent $/hr on WOW, but am not sure if something like this would be possible.

I definitely wouldnt go about it the usual shmuck way leveling up some hunter and camping whatever area for hours at a time. From what I've seen through google (that wasnt a giant MAKE $$$ FROM WOW OMG EBOOK scam) it seems like those players make 3-5$/hr which is not even close to worth my time.

If I were to do this, I'd take it a few levels higher. I would "multi-box" 5 characters simultaneously and do profitable instances/etc while leveling up. On top of this, I'd probably add a 6th account to be an auction house character - funneling all of my equipment/gold from my 5 played characters to that account, and selling/playing the auction house with the 6th.
Example of 5-boxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ilKi...ed&search=

My questions to you WOWers are:
1) Would it be possible for a player doing instances with 5 accounts to pull in a substantial earn? I'm talking 25-30$/hr+.
2) What is the best method of selling gold/items that you come across? Would one be better off selling everything off personally on ebay? Is there some way to make a deal with one of the many sites that sell WOW gear, so that you are a Supplier?

3) How strict is Blizzard on this issue, and should I have any fear of getting shut down? It has been (somewhat) stated that multiboxing is an OK practice as long as it does not involve the use of bots. I am more worried about them suspecting accounts of selling gold/items and getting shut down because of that.

I'd really appreciate responses from anybody who has done some kind of WOW selling before. (with or without multiboxing)

My speculation is that if a single player could pull in 5$/hr camping some spawn - 5 players could pull in 25. Possibly even more because a 5 man team can take down instances that 1 player never could. Plus, with a 24/7 auctioneer character, it seems like there is potential for more income through playing the market (buying low/selling high)

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I dreaming to think that I could make a decent earn doing this? If not I doubt I'll play. But 5-boxing 4 warlocks and 1 priest sounds pretty sweet to me if it could bring in some decent cash.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Earning $ with WOW - advice from you addicts please :)

I didn't read any of that, but, play poker?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 PM

/end life
Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

THE POINT:
I like games, and always have. I'd like to find some kind of way to make a decent $/hr on WOW, but am not sure if something like this would be possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all I read. On WoW, it's barely possible to make $2/hr, so, feel free to go get a part time job at McDonald's to make more money than you would on WoW.

Selling an account is a great way to get a huge lump sum, but the time invested in relation to the amount of money just doesn't compare.

Let's say you level to 60 in 9 days /played. That's 216 hours. The account will sell for roughly $100. $100 for 216 hours of work is almost slave wages. It's just not worth it. (Unless you have a great bot program that levels the account for you and you just have to leave the program on for days at a time.)
Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

THE POINT:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all I read. On WoW, it's barely possible to make $2/hr, so, feel free to go get a part time job at McDonald's to make more money than you would on WoW.

Selling an account is a great way to get a huge lump sum, but the time invested in relation to the amount of money just doesn't compare.

Let's say you level to 60 in 9 days /played. That's 216 hours. The account will sell for roughly $100. $100 for 216 hours of work is almost slave wages. It's just not worth it. (Unless you have a great bot program that levels the account for you and you just have to leave the program on for days at a time.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh... I figured that 5-boxing would up the $/hr enough to make it worth it, but apparently not.

I did sell credits on star wars galaxies after my senior year of high school, it amounted to a very decent earn, but I got in early and sold my account early. I guess since WOW is so widely popular you really cant make much out of that market.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 PM

stick to poker
Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Belok,

I have a lot of exeperience on this issue. The hard part is not making enough gold to make a decent profit. You said a goal of $25-30/hr? Yes. Doable. The hard part is unloading it. Ebay is impossible to unload the goods on, Blizzard cracks down hard. Selling it to "reputable" gold sites could get you banned.

Basically, you've put in a lot of thought to the amount of gold/hour you can get. Yeah, if you could sell the gold at the prices that the sites you see selling gold for $ for you would be living fairly pretty. But, the hard part comes from selling the gold for cash. Very very hard. Blizzard cracks down hard.

And that is the one and sole reason why you should not earn $ with WOW.

P.S. You can try to do this with other MMORPGs. Everquest II, for example, actually has a station-endorsed website to sell your stuff...of course, it's sad, because nothing's as cool as world of warcraft
Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Find another game. The chinese already owns this one.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Google Glider. you can thank me later.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Google Glider. you can thank me later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good way to get banned