Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

adanthar,

TY for writing such a great guide for playing in qualifying satellites.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM

I'm interested in hearing more about turbo sats. I just recently found out how juicy the 3r sats for the 215 on PS were on my own. I didn't know this thread existed until today but I did have a pretty good sat player teach me the right way to play them. I've won a seat 4/7 times I've tried in the 3r for profit of 700+. The only thing is those things take for freaking ever. I'd love to try the 11r turbo sats but I have no experience in turbos and only have a BR of 1k. Would that be wise? Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:52 AM

BUMP. More please.

If this bump doesn't get responses I'll throw some thoughts out there to spur it. But there are many opinions worth hearing before mine on this subject and it's pretty topical right now. Satellite experts, speak up!

- Clueless satellite player who recently realized he'll have enough time off to play the Main Event.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Here's my advice, FWIW.

I qualified for the WSOP ME for '05 and last night for '06 via Stars Double Shootout. Last year I hit a heater, made 3 straight FTs, and got in on the last one. This year, it took me about 10-11 tries to finally get it (with 3 FT's)

That said, THE VERY BEST WSOP Double Shootouts to play are the weekend variety that have the massive feeder 5.50 Turbo Rebuy feeders that fill up 60 or so of the 81 seats. Many of these players stumble into the DS and spaz all over themselves when they get there. Playing against these weaker players enables you to accumulate chips more quickly and give you a better shot at moving on. Even at the Final Table there are some satelite fish that find their way there. All 3 of my DS FT's this year were on the weekends. This is contrasted with the weeknight DS's that have only about 20 players fed from the 5.50 Rebuys. The other 61 that sign up are putting up $160 themselves, which increases the liklihood of competent players that can spare the $160 from their rolls. Further, from an anecdotal viewpoint, I attest he weekday versions are appreciably harder.

In the DS's, I cannot over emphasize the need to play LAG and acquire chips early. There is no difference between 2nd and 8th, so don't feel bad about early flameouts. Build a big stack and don't be afraid to wield it.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM

I qualified for atlantis in a $3R to a $650. I won't say it was easy, I had alot of stiff competition in the $650 but, I survived sitting with michael1123(might be wrong #) and jack9ofclubs(supposedly tj cloutier) for alot of the tourney.
I will agree though that for the sunday million the $11r and 33r are the best ways to go. the only good thing about the double shootouts is that if they are not totally full you will money for top 5-7 usually if you don't get the 1st place seat.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing more about turbo sats. I just recently found out how juicy the 3r sats for the 215 on PS were on my own. I didn't know this thread existed until today but I did have a pretty good sat player teach me the right way to play them. I've won a seat 4/7 times I've tried in the 3r for profit of 700+. The only thing is those things take for freaking ever. I'd love to try the 11r turbo sats but I have no experience in turbos and only have a BR of 1k. Would that be wise? Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play the $10r if you no experience in turbos, play a few 45man turbos first and memorize the pushbot charts, then play the $10r. They are very soft, but you'll be worthless without turbo experience. I was 2/2 on my first 2, netting $380, but then lost 2 more. I'll keep playing them though.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Would someone who has played a few of each please compare the Sunday $650 field to the $215 million field? Higher buyin, but even more people who satellite in plus WSOP factor = roughly equivalent fields? Stronger but not in proportion to the buyin difference?

Thanks.

Edit: Use any other comparison measure that you think is helpful. I just want to get some sense of the strength of field.

Also, any comparison of this tourney to similar tourneys on other sites would be welcome as well. My WSOP plan is to set aside $X to play these large field/many seat supersats. X not yet determined, sites not yet determined.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 PM

To LFTV, FWIW I feel the 650 is harder than 215 field, because even though WSOP factor helps and all i feel too many of the fish will go through the smaller buy-in roads like DS, 33R, maybe the 320. Still it's almost certainly weaker in avg than a reg 650.

Almost on the same topic as your previous post. Do you feel this assertion is true:
WSOP sats gets fishier as WSOP approach?

My logic is the best player qualify earlier and the fish gets more and more excited as WSOP approach so they dump more and more money into the sats. Both argument would tend to make later sats easier.
Is this flawed logic? Also, can players who already qualified keep farming them and get credited the 11k$ directly to their acct?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:15 PM

LearnedfromTV, I have to tell you, I played in the Sunday $650 for the first time yesterday, and it was not as donkish as I expected. 486 players, I would say about 225 or so from Sats., the rest bought in in the last hour or so, so they obviously paid the $650. The blinds are 30 minutes, and it is a grueling tourny. It took six hours for me to go out in 43rd (top 27 won seats). Getting chips was like pulling teeth and I didnt experience any of the donkish overplayed hands you see early in the Sunday $215. But as I say, I've only played the $650 once, so take my observations with a grain of salt if you wish. Overall based on my experience so far, I would say the $650 field is much stronger than the 1 mil. and much much tighter play.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 PM

I've noticed the same thing. I play Poker Stars and Empire; the SNGs are Ok and I play OK in them (in the money about 40% of the time) but I fare far better in Low tournament with modest buyins (I'm working my way up) where the top 200 or so get paid off.

I think that the high number of LAGs and donks contributes to success for tighter players, without pitting too many TAGs and sharks versus each other.