Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer

i am torn. should i get the book first then see the movie? books are almost always better, BUT this is the coen bros we are talking about.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best movie of the year(waiting on There Will Be Blood).

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks so amazing. When was the last time Day-Lewis made a bad movie?
Linky for anyone too lazy to look:
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2893471

Will see No Country for Old Men this week. Thanks for the link PJ.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM

I saw this on TV with very little volume and it looked like a remake of "The Executioner's Song" with Tommy Lee Jones. I don't know why it reminded me of that but it did. If you havn't seen that movie check it out.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say my top 5 Coen films are:

1. Miller's Crossing
2. Fargo
3. No Country For Old Men
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
5. Raising Arizona

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

What an awesome movie.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Oscar-worthy? Will be seeing it Thursday. Had a discussion with a friend and I just don't think there are that many films that jumped out this year, at least not yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oscar-worthy? Will be seeing it Thursday. Had a discussion with a friend and I just don't think there are that many films that jumped out this year, at least not yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

* For SURE best Adapted Screenplay.
* IMO Best Director too.
* Best Sound would be an absolute LOCK if these categories weren't run over by blockbusters (expect Pirates 3 to win that this year even though NCFOM probably has the most artistic sound design I've heard in a movie in 5 years).
* Acting is so great everywhere that who knows where to start; Bardem is likely to get noticed the most because he's such a badass. But IMO Josh Brolin is every bit as good (like a young Nick Nolte) and Tommy Lee Jones as well. All 3 of them could get nominated and I'd be pleased as punch.
* I would say Cinematography but since Deakins also shot Jesse James, I'd rather him get nominated for that one. It even beats NCFOM.
* Outside chance at Best Picture but it's probably too indie/violent for that. The Departed was graphic enough for Best Pic; no chance they honor a bloodbath two years in a row.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 AM

watched Blood Simple for first time tonight. wow what a great movie.

frances was pretty damn sexy back in the day.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 AM

just got back from seeing this.

fantastic, absolutely genius movie. the coens' attention to detail is just astounding to me.

i really liked the ending too, to me it was basically a perfect movie. the only thing that grated on me a little bit was harrelson's character being a bit too heavyhanded of a narrator in the dialogue at a few moments, but it didn't really bother me that much.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to see this goddam movie twice this weekend; sold out both times. HYACHAHCHACHAHCA now I have to find time after work this week to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

god is not letting you see it until you admit that the ladykillers sucked balls and tom hanks is a hack.

seriously i just read your review of intolerable cruelty, and all those things that you are ballwashing the movie for are things that they do in every. single. movie. they. make. great timing, attention to detail, repeating tropes and snippets of dialogue... they do all those things in TBL and in RA, and neither of those movies are smarmy romantic comedies.

NCFOM is my favorite of their dramas, I think, right ahead of Blood Simple. I would put NCFOM, RA, and TBL all in a top three that would be 'too close to call.'
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tried to see this goddam movie twice this weekend; sold out both times. HYACHAHCHACHAHCA now I have to find time after work this week to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

god is not letting you see it until you admit that the ladykillers sucked balls and tom hanks is a hack.

seriously i just read your review of intolerable cruelty, and all those things that you are ballwashing the movie for are things that they do in every. single. movie. they. make. great timing, attention to detail, repeating tropes and snippets of dialogue... they do all those things in TBL and in RA, and neither of those movies are smarmy romantic comedies.

NCFOM is my favorite of their dramas, I think, right ahead of Blood Simple. I would put NCFOM, RA, and TBL all in a top three that would be 'too close to call.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Fargo's not in the top tier for you? Obviously, that's up to you, but while Blood Simple, The Big Lebowski, The Hudsucker Proxy, etc., are all great- I don't find many people rating them above Fargo, which is an amazing film.