Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

whats the cake 1%? can you explain this to me.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the deets
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, magically you are only allowed to have $1k on stars. Detail a plan to make that $1k a reasonable number over time via sats/mtts

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do 1K to say 10K pretty quick in terms of # of days, but it'd take a lot of hours...I'd probably play every 11r to 215 sat Stars puts up, all of the sats to the Stuper, everything else cheap that pays T$, and fill the rest in with 20/180's and HORSE SNG's (huge ROI in those when they run). My problem with this would be the boredom and the raw hours required, but it'd be doable...basically though, the further off the beaten path you go the higher the return.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post8693198

edit: beaten

btw for the record/given current developments, when I get around to doing the paperwork, the shares are being given to an uncle in Russia and put into a trust. No sense taking chances.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm 6 months out of undergrad. I have been considering going to law school, because I cannot force myself to get a job that will pay me less than what I make at middle stakes (major in business management, blech). I have a highly logical/analytical mind and actually enjoy taking practice LSATs for the logic games etc, and I love argumentation for argumentation's sake. However, I certainly can't say "I want to be a lawyer" with any degree of certainty. All the threads I've seen on 2p2 for years relating to law school always contain 10+ posters saying "If you aren't 101%, bet-your-life, sure you want to be a lawyer, stay the F out of law school, or else you will be miserable." I took an LSAT cold for fun, before I really even knew what the test consisted of (did not realize it was very similar to SAT verbal or had logic games) and scored 172. (I did not hold myself to a super strict time limit, as I was doing it in class my sophmore year of undergrad. Class was 2.5 hours long, I probably had 20-25ish minutes more than I was supposed to.)

My father was a lawyer, and hated it. My uncle is a lawyer, and is a bitter old piece of crap who managed to swindle my college fund from my senile grandfather. The idea of going deeply into debt for a job I could hate is not appealing. However, I feel like logic and argumentation is genetically encoded in me. How am I supposed to know 100% that I want to have a job before I can even be schooled for it? (<--Rhetorical)

Any advice on figuring out if I should go through the immense aggravation of attempting law school?

Do you know anything of the financial aid situation for 90th percentile + LSAT scorers for law school?

PS - My GPA is crap, ~2.95. A simple "No, No" is just fine if you don't feel you can advise me.

Sorry is this rambles on or is overspecific. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Okay, simple question adanthar, but the answer is prolly 'it depends', as always

If one was a good cash player, a good mtt player, and a good sng player, assuming the same roll, what would earn the most money? I would assume that cash would have the least variance, followed by sngs, and mtt. My gut feeling is that the low level stars mtts are dominated by much greater fish than the others.

I have played about 250 mtts on stars, but v v v little cash or sngs.

You seem to play mtts in preference to sngs, why?

Also, how did gigabet cheat?

Lastly, you talk about restealing vs stealing. On some tourneys $4 or 6 on stars, i have been so card dead but raised pf so much its not funny. Everyone seems to drop, and, if i stop making a few stupid calls, my roi should be much better than the nice +number its at at the moment.

I found that mtts could almost be played just by raising, cbetting, and dropping (or shoving) to a raise. THrow in a few shoves on button/sb thanks to the SC numbers, and you are in contention more often than not.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM

I 6max really more profitable than FR? I haven't played a lot of 6max so I'm curious.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM

[quoteI could do 1K to say 10K pretty quick in terms of # of days, but it'd take a lot of hours...I'd probably play every 11r to 215 sat Stars puts up, all of the sats to the Stuper, everything else cheap that pays T$, and fill the rest in with 20/180's and HORSE SNG's (huge ROI in those when they run).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Adanthar, thanks for the helpful advice in this thread.

I'm just curious if you have any additional tips (I've read the sattelite threads) for playing these rebuy sattelites. Specifically, I have a lot of trouble coming out of the rebuy consistantly with a lot of chips. Since I am a person who really is working on a $1k bankroll, rebuying in an $11 a bunch of times seems hazardous...

I am very curious as to how you would manage your bankroll playing these kinds of events. Fear of running bad has basically kept me from playing them.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on figuring out if I should go through the immense aggravation of attempting law school?

Do you know anything of the financial aid situation for 90th percentile + LSAT scorers for law school?

PS - My GPA is crap, ~2.95. A simple "No, No" is just fine if you don't feel you can advise me.

Sorry is this rambles on or is overspecific. Thank you very much in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you will hate being a lawyer and will also hate the amount of debt you'll be facing. However, being in school as a poker player is a huge advantage, because it helpfully fills the giant hole in your resume and you can always figure out something else to do afterwards.

First things first - go to the LSAC.org website and check your stats in their calculator. My guess is that with say a 175, you can get in anywhere in the bottom of tier 1 and down, maybe a bit higher. If you're willing to go to a tier 2, or maybe upper tier 3, you can get a full ride, which would be much more palatable in your situation. However, make sure that the full ride is guaranteed - many schools will only guarantee it for 1L pending your grades, and as a poker player who may well hate law school, you have no clue what those will look like.

Also, with your major, I would look into an MBA, instead...especially if you can do it in Canada. Unlike JD's, Canadian MBA's should transfer well down to the States, but being in Canada and potentially finding work there after school ends has certain advantages right now.

[ QUOTE ]
If one was a good cash player, a good mtt player, and a good sng player, assuming the same roll, what would earn the most money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash would definitely earn the most at any reasonable level. However, SNG players have far less variance. MTT pros probably earn somewhat less than full time 20 tabling SNG pros, but with far more variance at the top end (obv). Cash players also continually run into the "move up stakes and get crushed" downswing, which is 10x worse in cash than either of the others.

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to play mtts in preference to sngs, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

SNG's are boring [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I 6max really more profitable than FR? I haven't played a lot of 6max so I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but solely because of the type of player that is a fish at 6 max rather than FR. FR 'fish' at most sites are set mining nits that can be exploited, but slowly. 6 max fish are far more aggressive and will often stack off very light. If the number of 6 max fish were to evenly spread out between 6 max and FR overnight, there'd be no need to ever play 6 max again IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I am very curious as to how you would manage your bankroll playing (1K to 10K). Fear of running bad has basically kept me from playing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't run bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Umm...I simply feel my edge is big enough in those types of events that I would never be in much danger of busto. If you are worried about specifically sats, buy some books, learn HORSE and play that. Lower level HORSE players don't even know the hand rankings for 1-2 of the games on average, so it's practically impossible to be a thinking, winning player there and lose long term.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM

tell us more about the move to vegas. hoping to play more live or other reasons, etc?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM

I did the math and a)this saves me like (a very large number) in taxes, b)I can buy a condo and deduct more from taxes/have a pool and a gym two minutes' walk from my door, c)vegas is cheaper than NYC, d)pacific time zone = normal sleep schedule...I mean, there's basically every reason to move, especially if I want to own property soon. holla.