16-20 26 16.67%
21-25 8 5.13%
26-30 4 2.56%
31-40 4 2.56%
40+ 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Best MSNL Coaches

Does empiremaker coach? O btw ive been coached by bobbo for several sessions now and he is an excellent coach but not available very often. He still plays often enough in a variety of games so his advice is in sink with the way the games are played today. He does not teach how to run good though, in face quite the opposite =).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does empiremaker coach? O btw ive been coached by bobbo for several sessions now and he is an excellent coach but not available very often. He still plays often enough in a variety of games so his advice is in sink with the way the games are played today. He does not teach how to run good though, in face quite the opposite =).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont coach but if someone were to give me a good offer I might do it.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 AM

I have never been coached but I want to take my game to another level and I'm considering it. I appreciate G_dollars - and every one else - sharing their experiences. After reading through all the bull, MDMA comes across pretty self centered and egotistical. I don't really care if he is god's gift to poker if he's not a good coach and the fact that he doesn't solicit any post session student feedback to see if his students are satisfied, what they liked, didn't like, how he can improve his future sessions with other students, whether his students improved their game a month out, etc, definately turns me off. I would think that a coach at this level would be more proactive in getting feedback and improving his coaching methods and skills, that's all. Don't take this as a flame.

Last but not least, hopefully this gangup on gdollars doesn't scare off people from sharing their neutral or negative experiences...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have never been coached but I want to take my game to another level and I'm considering it. I appreciate G_dollars - and every one else - sharing their experiences. After reading through all the bull, MDMA comes across pretty self centered and egotistical. I don't really care if he is god's gift to poker if he's not a good coach and the fact that he doesn't solicit any post session student feedback to see if his students are satisfied, what they liked, didn't like, how he can improve his future sessions with other students, whether his students improved their game a month out, etc, definately turns me off. I would think that a coach at this level would be more proactive in getting feedback and improving his coaching methods and skills, that's all. Don't take this as a flame.

Last but not least, hopefully this gangup on gdollars doesn't scare off people from sharing their neutral or negative experiences...

[/ QUOTE ]

whilst i agree that this should be an open forum in which people can give their opinions on their coaching experiences, at the same time people should be able to defend/explain themselves in the interests of not having a ton of potential business driven away based on the negative words of one dissatisfied customer.

fwiw, i found mdma to be an exceptional coach and he has always replied to my PM's and on AIM whenever i have attempted to contact him, even since i stopped doing paid lessons. so even though he may have come off a bit strong to you in this thread, i can assure you he is neither self-centred nor egotistical when you actually talk to him one on one. he has been coaching for a long time and his methods are tried and true, and many people can attest to this with graphs and PT stats. so i think he is entitled to take the words of a mediocre 2/4nl player with a grain of salt, especially given that GDollaz made his comments in such public way which could potentially be quite detrimental to MDMA's coaching prospects.

at the same time GDollaz i dont think you meant to come off as really critical or anything. i think it was mainly just the comment about taking a while to "get back to your A game" that really stirred up the hornets nest as it certainly does imply that you were directed away from correct strategy through your lessons.

anyways, i hope this gets sorted soon and this thread can get back on track with some credible feedback on the various coaches out there. i have been saying for a long time that there should be some kind of thread on this as finding a good coach who is worth the price can be like finding a needle in a haystack.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 AM

how good or bad is getting coach by a great player on AIM?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive heard lots of negative things about AIM. People get distracted too easy.

Some form of voicechat is a must.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive heard lots of negative things about AIM. People get distracted too easy.

Some form of voicechat is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. i got a lesson over AIM w someone and it was a logistical nightmare. just get ventrilo or skype. it makes things about 1000 times easier.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 AM

I had a student who I coached over AIM, but with a program that allowd me to see his screen.

It was very successful (and he can attest to it); but it certainly is easier with skype.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 AM

For those who have received some coaching, how did you make your choice? For example, did you just get someone that is known for crushing 1 or 2 levels above you, or did you just go for the best player you can afford? What criteria were important to you, and how did you judge the potential coaches' ability to meet your criteria?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a student who I coached over AIM, but with a program that allowd me to see his screen.

It was very successful (and he can attest to it); but it certainly is easier with skype.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the student and I guess he is talking about me. With respect to his coaching, he is the reason why am beating 400NL at 4+PTBB over 70K hands now. An excellent start for my MSNL career before which I never was able to beat 400NL comfortably.

I think AIM + a screen capture program (like VNCviewer or Netmeeting) is much better than talking over Skype. Talking is good, but is too slow for a coaching session. I had a student of my own learning SNGs from me, and he got distracted too easily while talking to me and playing. One can type much faster, save the session, quote it etc.