Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got up to about 16 stars and wow this is fun. My only complaint is that the organization of galaxies into planets means it kinda feels like you're performing a bunch of small tasks in succession (getting off each planet and moving to the next) as opposed to Mario 64, where you had these huge expansive worlds to run around in; each "mission" felt more cohesive.

It is early in the game though so future galaxies may address this complaint. That's really all I have to bitch about so far though, this game is sweeeeet and makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem I originally had with the previews way back when - the lack of big open worlds. The reviews do say that they are there though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... it's actually more wide open than it looks. Some worlds aren't... like sometimes you can't backtrack, but it's the same way in the classic Mario games. It feels really closed because I always feel like I'm gonna fall off the planet, but then Mario just runs under the planet instead and all is good.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 AM

I feel the same way not as open I am at 46 stars right now. Speed runs are fun.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 AM

just got this game. it's 1230am. gonna put in a session.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got up to about 16 stars and wow this is fun. My only complaint is that the organization of galaxies into planets means it kinda feels like you're performing a bunch of small tasks in succession (getting off each planet and moving to the next) as opposed to Mario 64, where you had these huge expansive worlds to run around in; each "mission" felt more cohesive.

It is early in the game though so future galaxies may address this complaint. That's really all I have to bitch about so far though, this game is sweeeeet and makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem I originally had with the previews way back when - the lack of big open worlds. The reviews do say that they are there though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... it's actually more wide open than it looks. Some worlds aren't... like sometimes you can't backtrack, but it's the same way in the classic Mario games. It feels really closed because I always feel like I'm gonna fall off the planet, but then Mario just runs under the planet instead and all is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but the times you do fall off the the planet are tilt-inducing
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Up to ~32 stars, still awesome, I don't really like swimming though, it's so hard to control precisely. I think I had the same problem with Mario 64 though.

Question w/ minor spoiler about hidden stars:

<font color="white">Ok, so for those of you who have gotten green hidden stars: If a galaxy has one and you haven't gotten it, will it still say "Galaxy completed" if you've gotten all the regular stars? I just got my first one but I got it before the other star in that galaxy, so I don't know if it would have said "galaxy completed" if I got the other one first. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I might have to worry about going back to galaxies that I've supposedly completed because I might have missed hidden stars or not.
</font>/spoiler

Would like to see if I can get 120 stars without using GameFaqs or anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM

Put in my first hour last night. Very fun. I'm going to be addicted in a hurry like I was with Super Paper Mario.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Not to cross-pollinate threads here, but I wish the Simpson's Game had the fluid motion and camera work of Galaxy. Having to constantly reset the camera in that game turns it from a solid B+ game into a C.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Anyone who hasn't bought it yet, buy it &amp; get a $25 GC at Best Buy. It's not advertised but force the customer service rep to ring up SKU # 6867688 after they ring up the game.

They are price matching the sick deal by Toys R Us unofficially.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who hasn't bought it yet, buy it &amp; get a $25 GC at Best Buy. It's not advertised but force the customer service rep to ring up SKU # 6867688 after they ring up the game.

They are price matching the sick deal by Toys R Us unofficially.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh really? thanks, i'm going to have to do that.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM

what's your loopdeeloop galaxy time?

my best is 1:00.18. i wanted to do a sub 1 minute run, but i can't be bothered right now.

a little tip. if you do the tutorial you get an extra 30 coins. most people will probably fall off their first try and lose those 30 coins, but if you go back to the galaxy and do the tutorial again, and pass on your first try you'll have an extra 30 coins.