Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Turn betting when missed after pre flop raise

Betting the turn I think is one of my main weaknesses mainly when to bet and when to check after a pre flop continuation bet. I also believe that turn betting is a major part in profitable poker.

I don’t have the and history file so couldn’t convert but here is a hand as an example
NLH $1 - $2 6 handed cash

Me: I am in the big blind with $210 I have been on the table for about 5 minutes and not really played a hand. The guy in the small blind I have seen call an UTG raise of $7 with A2 off suit and check down all the way to the river that is my only read and he has $230.

Hand

Folded round to the small blind who calls I raise to $7 with AKs (clubs) he calls.

FLOP: POT $14

J (diamonds) 6(hearts) 4(clubs)

I bet the pot and he calls

Turn: POT $42

10 of diamonds and he checks.

Question 1:

Should I bet the turn? If so how much and what are the reasons for betting the turn??? What hand do you think he has?

I am reasonably confident I have 10 outs 3 Aces 3 Kings and 4 Queens for a straight. I am thinking he could possible have a small pair or connected with the flop in someway.

I check and the river brings a Queen of diamonds giving me the straight and putting a flush on the board. The pot is $42 and he bets $30.

Question 2:

What are you putting him on and why?? Do you fold call or reraise??
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Turn betting when missed after pre flop raise

potting such a dry flop is bad.
check behind turn and hope to improve, sometimes you're ahead anyway.
idiots wont fold, especially BvB

edit to add river:
looks like JQ,KQ,JT or something like that to me, since he seems kinda bad, raising for value should be fine.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 AM

i wouldnt bet flop, as it seems he will have a large range here if hes calling utg raises with a2, and may have connected in some way...\

im equally useless on the turn, but personally i would check it and see if i improve... would anyone fire another barrel on the river if a blank comes off and he checks to you? possibly a little transparent as a bluff after checking the turn when you would assume someone would bet to protect with sucha drawy board?

id value bet river here as he seems weak and will probably call down with top pair/two pair, i reckon he has jq.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM

erh this is like the gin flop to cbet it's extremely hard for him to connect and if he does u have a very good idea of where he is (one pair, probably J). the turn id check behind just because i doubt he's folding a J here. the river is easy value raise.

his range on river bet is likely JT, JQ and very rarely a set of 4s or 6s. he cant have a flush except for like 57d which is pretty poorly played IMO. neway easy raise
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 AM

I raised the river and he pushed all-in almost instantly I called and he flipped over A5 of diamonds for the flush.