Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: $2.20 winner-take-all final match str8flush-draw

Give it to me good. I deserve it. Just an awful play by me. I didn't realize how bad this call was at the time. I just figured it was about 50/50 and I would take a shot. What a waste of six well played matches. At least I only lost $2. The lesson I learned was definitely worth two dollars. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM

You'd be surprised at how many people may actually think villain played this perfectly .

I can't tell whether you're serious or not .
Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM

This hand shows one good thing for you - you are not afraid of losing, which is good for a poker player. Many players would think long here, but not you. I did things like that in the past when I felt like gambling, I thought I was the favorite until the guy showed up with the nuts. I've done that before, when I was less experienced. Not in Winner take all HUMTT though. It also sucks when the guy shows up with queen high and wins when you don't improve.

You'll get your money other way. GL
Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give it to me good. I deserve it. Just an awful play by me. I didn't realize how bad this call was at the time. I just figured it was about 50/50 and I would take a shot. What a waste of six well played matches. At least I only lost $2. The lesson I learned was definitely worth two dollars. Thanks for the input guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, dont get us wrong please. Saying stuff like "terrible terrible call" sounds harsh but by that we mean NO more than the play. Nobody is criticizing you as a person or for posting or whatever. You are here to learn, so are we.

You arent even THAT far off with your 50/50 guess. Vs most one pair holdings it may be 47/53 or whatever. The reason the play isnt worth it cause there will be times when youre crushed (like here).

When calling all-in always look for reasons to fold first. Think of all the bad stuff that he can show with here. Clubsuited Jacks, a set, higher flushdraws (may take exactly that line). Then when looking at the "good" side of his range you will realize that you cant be more than a 50/50 or VERY slight favourite. Combining those two its not worth the risk.

I understand you though, and I think everybody else does too. Ive had moments calling overbets AI with naked flushdraws, hands that can only split or lose and guaranteed losers likewise.

The key to sucess at NLHE (and in life, for that matter) is to never make the same mistake in the same way you did before. You have learned from this and the next time in this spot you will think back and make a better decision.

I have learned many and most of my pokerlessons the hard way, so have many others. Try, fail, improve; repeat.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 AM

You have to get burned sometimes so that you don't make the same mistake again. Think of this hand as a learning experience. As you said, it was worth 2$.