Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Lottery Genius

[ QUOTE ]
lumpsum penalties

[/ QUOTE ]
???
Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM

numerology is a pseudo-science at best, pure quackery at worst.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM

THE GUY IS WINNING YOU CAN'T MESS WITH RESULTS
Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
picking calendar number increases EV but is really just less negative value. if you figure in taxes and lumpsum penalties, it is never +ev to buy any lottery ticket. there was a post a while back about the odds and value of lottery tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are rare cases when it's +EV. When that's true, then it's profitable to buy out all the combinations. There have been some interesting documented cases of people doing this successfully.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. A financial Adviser that is stupid enough to think his method works, is very scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad is the same way. He is an accounting genius, yet he is convinced he has a fullproof baccarat stragety. I find it really confusing how he can be sp retarded as he is generally very intelligent.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lumpsum penalties

[/ QUOTE ]
???

[/ QUOTE ]

When they pay out a jackpot, they do it over say, 30 years. The money that is waiting to be paid to you is sitting in an account that is earning interest.

If you choose to lump sum it, that interest isn't there, therefore in addition to being raped by taxes, you get even less because of this.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM

This guy doesn't really understand how to enjoy the lottery. Why didn't he take like 5m and go nuts?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM

re - 15 numbers that come up the most:

These are physical balls after all.
Perhaps a few are just slightly bigger than others or weighted differently to be slightly more likely to come up.

Obviously if the balls are random then they should all be popping up with the same frequency.
If some of them are coming up even 2-3% more than others over a large enough sample-size (which they probably don't have) then maaaaaaaaybe.

This guy probably wasn't thinking in such terms. And I'm assuming all the balls are EXACTLY the same and this theory is closer to online poker non-randomness theory, but who knows.

There was some state lottery a few years ago that was rigged by weighting down some of the numbers thus making the lighter balls more likely to be selected.

wonder if something like this could happen more accidentally even with the official inspection and licensing of the equipment, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lumpsum penalties

[/ QUOTE ]
???

[/ QUOTE ]

When they pay out a jackpot, they do it over say, 30 years. The money that is waiting to be paid to you is sitting in an account that is earning interest.

If you choose to lump sum it, that interest isn't there, therefore in addition to being raped by taxes, you get even less because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I get that. But it's pretty misleading to call it a penalty. You're getting the entire jackpot. You can invest it how you please, instead of the fixed annuity that they would invest it in for you.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy doesn't really understand how to enjoy the lottery. Why didn't he take like 5m and go nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

People like that piss me off so much. Dude its one thing if you win $1M, invest the [censored] out of it, don't go nuts. But when you win $100M, live a little.

"a used car is all i need" ----go [censored] yourself.

When I win MegaMillions on Friday for like $150M lump sum,
I would probably travel and live it up huge for a couple years, traveling across the world with my gf and family.

Then i would probably buy a few homes and toys, invest like $50M and take the remaining $85M or so and start some sort of a charity.

Maybe I could make a rival school to compete with Oprah's school she just opened in Africa. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]