Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Default KTs with fish and Almost TAG

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em
Converted w/ PonksSaver: http://www.pokermentor.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510
- - - HAND 3370084631 - - -
PreFlop: <font color="blue">HERO</font> is MP with <font color="blue">T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> <font color="blue">K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> (10 Players)
2 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, 1 <font color="darkred">fold</font>, MP3 calls, 2 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls,

Flop: (8.00 SB) <font color="black">8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> <font color="red">3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> <font color="blue">2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> (4 Players)
SB <font color="green">bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="blue">HERO</font> calls, MP3 calls,

Turn: (6.00 BB) <font color="blue">Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> (4 Players)
SB <font color="green">bets</font>, BB <font color="darkred">folds</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> ???? MP3 still to act

SB is an almost TAG and is aggressive but not overly so. I would figure him as a young guy that has read 1-2 books. He plays fair but over plays his hands sometimes. TAF 1.7

BB is no read

MP3 is uberfish. Doesnt raise without a great hand, bets 2 pair or better generally.

My gut was saying to raise since SB would bet here with A8s, 99, 77. Raising would increase my chances to win the hand and maybe force passive MP3 and semi-TAG to fold. I figured I had about 12 outs with the flush draw and the K or T. Didnt figure the Q hit anyone the way this played out. MP3 calling means pair or draw that simple.

Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: KTs with fish and Almost TAG

Preflop raise with KTs from mp1 looks borderline to me. Too me, a turn raise looks bad here, but I'm just starting to work on turn semi-bluff raises.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:46 PM

This is very read dependant. How loose is MP3? Will he fold an 8? Is SB capable of folding 99? 77?

Without any clear reads on this I just call.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 PM

I would raise the flop here to see the rest of the cards for free.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising this flop at 2/4 is bad. No one is folding a pair.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising this flop at 2/4 is bad. No one is folding a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I agree. Plus getting 3-betted would really blow. Well, raising this any where is bad.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:40 PM

True, but I would rather pay 2SB's than 3SB's to see the river. We have already showed strength preflop, so we can raise here to save a SB. No one will 3-bet without a sick hand and will check the turn after you raise the flop. There are times when you want to raise in order to fold better hands, but other times you do it to save a SB and make the hand easier to play. I'm not saying it's a great play or anything, but you are drawing to 7 outs discounted to 5.5 when you are reverse dominated, so it's not like you are in a great position here. If I were to call this flop, I would plan to check-fold the turn UI. I would rather invest another SB to see both cards to help myself improve instead spending one sb to see just one card. Generally I'm not seeing the river with unimproved overcards unless I have a big draw to a straight or flush.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were to call this flop, I would plan to check-fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great plan, that's the correct line here.

Raising the flop could result in you paying 3SB only to see the turn with a poor hand.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but I would rather pay 2SB's than 3SB's to see the river. We have already showed strength preflop, so we can raise here to save a SB. No one will 3-bet without a sick hand and will check the turn after you raise the flop. There are times when you want to raise in order to fold better hands, but other times you do it to save a SB and make the hand easier to play. I'm not saying it's a great play or anything, but you are drawing to 7 outs discounted to 5.5 when you are reverse dominated, so it's not like you are in a great position here. If I were to call this flop, I would plan to check-fold the turn UI. I would rather invest another SB to see both cards to help myself improve instead spending one sb to see just one card. Generally I'm not seeing the river with unimproved overcards unless I have a big draw to a straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about a river? Your hand sucks right now. I'd call getting 100-1 with two overs which should be clean, and a BDFD. Raising this flop is retarded. You won't fold any hand with an 8, and really, if a 2 or 3 folds, how does this help you?

Think about it. you flat call the flop, and a hand like 34 calls. Turn is a K, does it even matter if the 3 folds the flop. Or, if the turn is a 7, does is matter, since you need to hit to win?

This kind of fancy play, vs. 3 opponents is destined to fail at 2/4, anyone with an 8 is going to see a SD, which means you need a K, T, or runner runner to win, I'd try to do so cheaply.

If you raise the flop and check the turn, you spend 2sb, better than 3sb, but this is incorrect thinking.

If the turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you fold the turn. Spending 1sb.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:47 PM

If you had a hand worth showing down UI, I'd consider the turn semibluff raise followed by a river checkthrough if you miss. But since K high is practically never going to be good without hitting the river, calling the turn and folding the river UI seems like a much better plan to me.

Based on your read on MP3, I don't think a turn raise gets him to fold any hand that beats you...maybe A high, but even that's iffy.