Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 AM

Default My story- help me pls

I am 19 yrs old, and have been playing poker for 4-5 years... I have had a relative amount of success live, cashing in a few tournaments since iv been 18, and won at least 50% of the tournaments that I have played in with friends- usually about 8-12 playing.

Online- I have done well on occassions- but I have a massive problem- tilt...

I have read many poker books, and understand the key concepts in poker- I have been a consistent winner at up to 1/2 blinds/... however, when drunk/ on tilt after a bad beat.... i always go on higher limits or play awfully and blow it all. Twice in the last month iv deposited, built a roll through hours of play... and blown it at 3 am on tilt or pissed...should i call it quits now and just play live?

If im always blowing it is it worth it?

So my question to all you experienced players- is do I stop playing online, and concentrate on live? or is there some sort of software that blocks you playing a certain blind level...

im so fustrated cos i have built this last roll up over 3 weeks, moving from 25 NL to 100 NL, and then i go and blow it last night after 3 horrible beats.

Anyone who has been in this situation and been able to turn into a winning player pls give me some advise!

goodison blue
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: My story- help me pls

I'm not a winning player but I have a awesome biological anti-tilt reflex: I immediately quit playing poker if I get sucked out on, at least for that particular day.

Maybe that isn't something you'd consider doing but you should, at least you won't throw your money away making bad decisions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM

1. Don't drink and play.
2. Get and practice proper bankroll management.
3. Variance and bad beats WILL happen. If you have no self-control give up poker.
4. NEVER move up chasing losses.

You know whats needed - do you have it in you to succeed? Only you can answer that.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You know whats needed - do you have it in you to succeed? Only you can answer that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect avatar for that statement.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Sounds like your major problem is tilt. The best way to avoid tilt is to get up and leave the computer.

I have a couple different stratdgies for dealing with tilt 1: take a short break get my emotions under control and then find a really motivational song. 2: Move DOWN a level rather than moving up to catch up because at least if you tilt you lose LESS money. When you have your equilibrium back then go back to your regular level. 3: MOST important --- if you can't handle dealing with at least 4 or 5 buy in losses at the level you are at already then consider moving down a level in stakes because this will help you avoid tiliting in the first place. You need to be comfortable at the level you are playing.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
won at least 50% of the tournaments that I have played in with friends- usually about 8-12 playing...Twice in the last month iv deposited, built a roll through hours of play...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are exaggerating and overestimating your skill, and underestimating the amount of time it takes to build up a meaningful bankroll. You are blaming tilt and bad beats when you lose, and taking all of the credit when you win.

It sounds like you are having fun gambling, not playing winning poker.

Set a budget and don't go above it.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Discipline is one of the most important factors in gambling. Tilt destroy's bankrolls. Bad beats are your friend. You profit every time someone makes a mistake against you.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im so fustrated cos i have built this last roll up over 3 weeks, moving from 25 NL to 100 NL, and then i go and blow it last night after 3 horrible beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should not be moving up this fast. learn good bankroll management. your bankroll should not be blown after 3 beats.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:54 PM

firstly- thanks for responses...

secondly i wouldnt say i was over exaggerating my ability- iv quoted that i play awfully after a bad beat... and have openly admitted that im a losing player- im just citing the problem as tilt... as this is the major issue. there are definitely other weaknesses in ym game- but i feel i can be a winning player if i control tilt, and then work on these other flaws... i definitely feel i have the ability to beat 50 NL - but im not saying im brian townsend... just wanted advise on one of my weaknesses- tilt.

the reason i site this as the problem is that i often no i am making the wrong play when im on tilt but seem to do it anyway.... definitely my emotions and not my poker brain controlling my actions...

i think i might just play live a bit, theres a good 2/2 cash game near me, and i dont seem to tilt when i have the money in front of me... plus the standard is awful so you will be profitable unless you're sucked out on allll night....

anyway- any other advise appreciated.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM

and on the issue of bank roll- i was moving up when i had 9 buy ins... probably a bit too agressive... and i deposited 150, moved it up to 500, then when i got to 900 strtd on 0.5/1.... admittedly i have been playing A LOT of hours... and running good, in previous attempts its taken far longer.... would you suggest going by 20 buy ins?

Andy