Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Default 1/2NL live, 88 on button

A friend described this hand to me. I would like some opinions.

1/2NL, 10 handed live game, effective stacks around $150 (maybe a shorty or two mixed in). Typical player here will see too many flops, pay too much for draws, not lay down TP when destroyed, etc. Very, very bad players.

Hero is button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG live straddles to $4, 5 callers, hero...

We debated the merits of calling and raising, and if you raise, how much is the "right" amount here.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 1/2NL live, 88 on button

I'd call. Your raise would have to be pretty big to get people out (at least the bad live 1/2 players I know), and that's what you'd want. You play 88 for set value. Anyone who calls is either ahead of you now or you'd be in a bit of a race. If an A or many overcards hit and no 8, you are in trouble.

Also, what do you do if someone re-raises? You'd fold or be playing 88 for stacks.

I'd be thrilled to be able to limp on the button into a $27 pot (so far) for $4 with 88. If you hit, you are golden, and with position, you might still have a chance to take it down.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM

I think a call is ok.

Raising would depend on your view of players involved and their history in similar situations. Against unknowns I call.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM

EZ call. dont raise you are not getting anyone out. Hit you set and take them to valuetown.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EZ call. dont raise you are not getting anyone out. Hit you set and take them to valuetown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise to $40 doesn't get anyone out? 30?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:00 PM

A raise to $30 or $40 MIGHT get someone out, but if it doesn't or if they re-raise, what do you do? I've seen lots of 1/2NL live players limp with AA, KK, QQ, AK, etc., and then call or re-raise.

I've seen them call big raises with AJ, 78, etc., too, and if one calls, another one is going to do the same.

If scary cards hit, you are folding or losing your stack for 88. Yuck.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:00 PM

The problem with raising to a sizable amount is that you are bloating a pot which is great when you hit, but when you don't hit, or are unsure about the strength of your hand post flop it becomes very difficult to play.

Example, we boost it to $30, get two callers...The pot is now around $100ish, and we have only $120 behind.. So when the flop comes like Q22 or 1046, basically anytime we don't flop a set we are forced to make a committing c bet, and in a game where "people don't fold TP" this is a few bad spots to be in, since if anyone one of our opponents even remotely connects with the flop, we have like no chance of folding them out with our flop bet...

If we are deeper and a few of the opponents are also deeper then a raise PF become more ideal, however, in shallow live games, I think these are spots where raising is often incorrect.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd be thrilled to be able to limp on the button into a $27 pot (so far) for $4 with 88. If you hit, you are golden, and with position, you might still have a chance to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man speaks the truth...
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM

This is a great spot to call. 88 plays well multiway. The pot is a decent size so you will have a good chance of winning a good amount should you hit your set. In fact, at this table you'll have a good chance of stacking someone.

Why in the world would you want to raise this hand at this table at this point? You're bound to get 2-3 callers which sucks because any overcard will scare you against that many players. You will probably not be able to take it down on the flop with a cbet at this table. And like I said when you do hit your set you will be able to win a good amount by calling, so why risk raising?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Man speaks the truth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Woman, but thanks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]