Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Like katy, I have been enjoying the videos, and I'll use this post to unload a few that I've come across while poking around YouTube (all of these are live performances ldo)

Aimee Mann - You Could Make a Killing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8PmTY2DHk

Björk - All is Full of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PiStjwUEHc

Björk - Hyper-ballad (my favorite song of hers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVR4700d5o

Nellie McKay - Long & Lazy River (I'm still gonna do that write-up on her eventually)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJM09mf_Is
Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 AM

Katy/all regarding Mary Gauthier.

Perhaps the most powerful song from the excellent album "Mercy Now" is the lead track "Falling Out of Love".

Anyway, my luckbox was working so I was able to find a link to the complete song (along with Mercy Now) on this page. Worth checking out.

~ Rick
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Genitorturers

Usually, when a woman is in a heavy metal band, she is dancing in the background, or maybe playing a bass guitar. Very few times would a woman be given credit to spew the venom needed to accomplish the role of a front-man, or in this case, front-woman. Led by the attractive Gen, the Genitorturers are the giant shoulders of the sound from the mid to late 90s.

Created in the late 80s in Tampa Florida, where Marilym Manson and Billy Corigan visited in search of rock and roll fame, many nu-metal and emo bands found there roots here. The Genitortureres music is pure industrial hard rock. Their show displays of fire, torture, piercing, whipping, and all flavors of sexuality and BDSM.

I am not a huge fan of this music. It has it's place in a small club and is great to dance and drink to. However, Gen's influence on music and showcasing is undeniable, so her band deserves a place in this thread.

(so no, Marylin Manson was not the creator of this music or image, not even close)

Unfortunately, I could not find any u-tube of their shows. It is fun to watch, and definitely NSFW.

home page

myspace : It has an interesting rendition of "Touch Myself."

NSFW performance pics

Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM

I prefer Crucifictorious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 AM

Racheal Yamagata

myspace

utube

home

wiki

Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi all - my first post in the lounge I believe - this is a great thread. I'm a big fan of a lot of the artists mentioned so far:

(Sorry, I'm not too good at writing about why I like certain music, so most of this is just links)

Eva Cassidy - fantastic voice, check out her version of "Tennessee Waltz".

Iris Dement - not a huge fan, but the song linked to in this thread, "Our Town", is beautiful.

Lucinda Williams - one of my favourites, such a sensual voice. Somebody linked to a few of the older songs, but I strongly recommend checking out her latest album too, "West". Check out "Are You Alright?" for a taste of her newer stuff.

Patty Griffin - I only actually own one of her albums (I can't even remember what it's called), which is strange, because I love that album! My favourite song from that album is "Top of the World", but unfortunately, I can't find it on YouTube. Here is a cover version of the song performed by the Dixie Chicks. Not as good as Patty's version, but still a great song. Her singing is just as good as her songwriting - check out "Rain".

Joni Mitchell - not much to add to what has been written already. The song I would have mentioned is "Circle Game", but it's already been discussed. Beautiful song.

Tift Merrit - I'm not really too familiar with most of her work - my parents have one of her albums, and I like what I've heard. I hope to learn more about her in the near future. For now, here is "Virginia, No One Can Warn You"

Anna Nalick - "Breathe" is a great song. My girlfriend was watching Grey's Anatomy while I was playing poker, and then this song started playing. I had no idea who it was, so I downloaded the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack to try and find the song. I found it, and then bought her album. Sadly, for me it did not live up to the expectations I had. I think Dominic was right when he said "one hit wonder".

Natalie Merchant - exceptionally talented singer/songwriter. "Beloved Wife" (written from the perspective of an old man whose wife of 50 years has just died) is one of very few songs that makes me cry every time I hear it.

-----

I've taken a look at most of the clips people have posted, and have to say, The Lounge has great taste in music! Two that really stood out for me (that I hadn't heard of previously):

Brandi Carlile
Kathleen Edwards

Went straight to iTunes after seeing the videos and bought two albums from each. Four really great albums, so thank you very much to the people who mentioned them!

-----

Ok, let's see if I can contribute something back to this thread then. I live in Scotland, so I really have no idea who is mainstream and who is really obscure. I'm trying to pick obscure ones that nobody will have heard of, but maybe these people are more famous across the pond:

Shelby Lynne

Critically acclaimed country (sort of, it's considered country music where I'm from anyway) singer-songwriter.

Meh, I said I suck at explaining what artists sound like, so I'm not going to try. I just get the feeling based on what I've seen in this thread that people will like her:

Killin' Kind - probably her "poppiest" song - listen to this one first as it's pretty catchy, and if you like what you hear, carry on...

Gotta Get Back
Your Lies
Wall In Your Heart

A pretty eclectic selection of songs.

I can't end this post without mentioning her sister:

Allison Moorer - an exceptional alternative country singer songwriter in her own right.

Check out:

"No Next Time" (ignore the video, someone dubbed this song over a scene from Tomb Raider or something)
Send Down An Angel (omg what a voice!)

Ok, that's all for now. Keep the recommendations coming people!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:11 PM

fantastic! I love Shelby Lynn and Allison Moorer...glad you liked Kathleen Edwards....

welcome to The Lounge, Silk.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 AM

gotta keep this thread going...

Nellie McKay

(it's pronounced "Mc-Eye")

Here is someone for whom I had heard critical acclaim for a while, and when I finally listened to her first album I didn't know what to think. It's all over the place, with each song being having a totally different genre and style and subject matter and "level" than the previous one. But by the time I got to the second disc (yeah) I started to understand the brilliance.

Her first album is called "Get Away From Me" (it came out during the heyday of Norah Jones, get it?) and by the time you're halfway through it you've heard reggae, jazz, rap, cabaret, and pop that sounds like it's from some decade that got lost in the shuffle of the 20th century. Her second album is more of the same (if that's possible), a little better but without the novelty. She's got a third album out but I haven't listened to it enough yet to give a report.

The songs are sarcastic and not, about Nellie's life and not, simple and not; basically you have to stay on your toes while listening. This is "brain music," it won't exactly affect you emotionally. It'll sound cool, it'll get you thinking and paying attention to the lyrics and the styles, and it'll be fun to analyze later.

And that's the only problem I have with her music. You can rarely tell what level she's on, whether a particular feeling in a song is genuine or calculated, and sometimes it's discouraging. Also, her first two albums are two-discers and there's definitely some "filler" that's fun to think about but not to listen to. If that's something you enjoy, you'll love Nellie McKay. I can't say she's for everyone, but she's... unique, and one of the few artists I get excited about.

Here are some links, for your pleasure:

"Ding Dong"

"Sari"

"Happy Flower"

edit: put song titles instead of rando YouTube URLs
Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 AM

^ Man, I am so glad I wrote that, because it reminded me to finally listen to her new album. Sooo good, well-made, and [censored] hilarious. And at thirtyish minutes, this album is compact compared to Nellie's last two monsters. I would say it's a good starting point for a new listener, but really all of them are.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Just discovered this Brightman video the other day. I cannot remember hearing the song before, but I am so stuck on it right now: Deliver Me