Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Default 20/40 gross spot with overpair

hi all, my first hand post in medium, so all comments are appreciated.

foxwoods 20/40, my first time in the game. my image is tag and i've been showing down winners.

game is playing fairly passively for what this game can do sometimes, from what i've heard and sweated. most pots are 3-4-5way with some raising pf. the two big spots at the table are a crazy lag asian guy in seat 1, who can put in a lot of action in sort of bad spots but usually has something, and a just horrible spazzy guy in seat 8 whose mission is to put terrible beats on the asian guy (bc of a previous beat). seat 8 is very passive preflop and very out of line postflop.

seat 1 is mad at me because of a previous hand where i raised k[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]j[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] first in in mp, all folded, he calls in bb, flop q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]t[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and we went 7 bets on the flop, and i hit a king on the turn and a flush on the river and he flashed red aces.

okay anyway the hand:

seat 1 raises utg, folds to me, i 3bet t[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]t[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folded to seat 8 who coldcaps (4bet cap at foxwoods). i haven't seen him do this or even really raise pf before. seat 1 can't get his chips into the pot fast enough. i call.

flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
lag leads out, i raise, spaz insta3bets, lag instacaps.

how much action do you guys feel like i should be putting in here? should i be thinking about folding given certain turn cards and the risk of being sandwiched for 8 more bets by showdown? or is that weak and should i be spreading some jam on the sandwich?

thanks, and i hope to stay up at 20/40 and post more here in future.

*edited to say that i realize people are going to say call the flop, but i wanted to think of a plan for the whole hand at this point if that makes sense.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 20/40 gross spot with overpair

Well I had the "call the flop" part down solid. After that I'm not so sure.

At this point are you just assuming the LAG has ATC? And how do you think seat 8 views you? Does his hatred for the LAG burn hot enough that no action on your part will cause him to fold something like QQ,JJ? What about unpaired overs like AQ, AK?

A lot probably depends on reads/feel, but if an undercard hits turn, I'd raise LAG's bet to put pressure on seat 8 who might fold his overs and root for you to vanquish his foe.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM

the lag when he went hard always had some piece of it at least. the spaz was really unpredictable post but i'd never seen him do that preflop before. and yea it was a hatefest, i don't think the spaz is ever folding any of those hands you mentioned here. i was also about 80% sure at least that turn and riv were gonna get capped (just a feeling at the time). i wasn't sure if that makes it almost a math problem in one approach. also if i had aces and not tens i think it makes this much easier, obviously.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM

bang bang u dead
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Well... I pretty much hate every option. I think folding the flop sucks. I hate calling the flop then raising the turn and folding to a cap. I hate calling the turn then folding to a threebet. Calling a cap on turn and getting strung along on the river feels like way too much action.

The problem here is that seat 8 hasn't done anything like this preflop. The other problem is that when people are faced with three bets cold, they often do strange things. Its the whole "if I'm going to coldcall, I may as well cap". When your against a LP, that could be dangerous.

So I basically don't know.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM

I was considering folding to the flop donk. Thoughts on this?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM

I was thinking folding to the 2 bets back to hero on the flop. You have raised every street so far and have been raised on every street so far. I don't think you are ever good here.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

I'd just fold the flop when it's capped. I think you're only getting like 11:1 and even if you aren't beat there's a good chance you're dodging 11-12 cards in the deck.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Yeah, my impression of live play is that this is a flop fold once it's two back to you.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 PM

The correct play is to not jump into a 20-40 game just because you've grown up and left Vermont [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]