Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Default NL25 KTs TP against TAG

Villain was a 15/11 TAG, he had been playing back at my steals a lot, mostly 3betting but there he flat called. I'm not sure about the way I played the hand, and looking at villain's line I don't really know what hand he could be vbetting here on the river besides KK/44/99. The flush and AK seem very unlikely. Maybe he's turning another PP into a bluff. Is it time for a hero call ?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($27)
MP ($13.30)
Hero ($25)
Button ($17.10)
SB ($34.35)
BB ($78.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, SB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($9.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $9</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $9.25
Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: NL25 KTs TP against TAG

That is a tough one.

Pre-flop I'd guess he has something pretty good. If he has something only OK then he should re-raise you and try to take it down instead of being out of position for the rest of the hand. It sounds like this player is probably aware of that.

The flop looks like a flush draw, x4, AA, or AK. If he has QQ-99 he should bet out here, right?

His turn bet looks like a made hand. Maybe one that's afraid of the flush? Maybe he has the flush and he's value betting? As a 15/11 TAG I doubt he's bluffing like this although it is possible. I expect you're beaten here more often than not. It seems like he wants a call. He may even be trying to induce a raise.

Why don't you raise the turn? I don't think I like a call here. A call looks pretty weak and he can either bluff or bet for value on the river more confidently. I'd raise to $6 and see what happens. You may get him to fold AK, x4, QQ-99.

You told him on the turn that you can't beat a small flush, x4, or 99. His river bet is pretty big for a value bet and he probably read your turn call as weakness. $9 is a good bluff size. All of his other actions point to strength though so maybe he thinks you will pay him off? This awkward position is one reason why I'd tend to raise the turn. I think I do fold here but it eats at me afterwards. 8)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: NL25 KTs TP against TAG

By just calling the turn you've signaled you are unlikely to have a 4. I'm not saying you should have raised, but he must feel better about his hand after the turn.

He probably puts you on at least a bigger king than you have and does not fear to bet. I fold.

If you are not going to fold this turn (which I think would clearly be too weak) you can choose to raise big and commit all your chips or call to fold to a riverbet.
Calling to call the river is a good line against habitual bluffers only if you use is sparsely in combination with a read.