Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Watch Out For Ron Paul

I always thought old school Republicans were closer to Libertarians than Democrats. But certainly not this new breed of cut taxes and spend.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad liked Bush forever..then I introduced him to Ron, and he LOVES him. So yeah, anxnay on your ointpay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right, giving an example of one person is a good argument and totally destroys my point. Just forget the fact that 69% of people still love Bush and the War in Iraq. I'm sure they'll come around on Ron Paul any day now.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it. There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I support Ron Paul. But it looks like he won't win. So I shouldn't waste my time. I should just support those people who look like they are going to win. The front runners have the exact opposite views on policy of Ron Paul. So I'm going to support people who have the exact opposite agenda that I want.

Wait. There's a logic flaw somewhere in there, hmm.

Oh yeah, it's that people should support who they want to win, not who they think is going to win. That's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I never said you shouldn't support Ron Paul. I was just critiquing Boro's optimistic assessment of how well Paul's message will resonate with people who will vote in the Republican primaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just used to people saying "don't waste your vote" and all that nonsense, but yeah. I apologize.

Oh, and to the above posters, of course the Republicans would rather have a Democrat than a Libertarian. I mean they hate Ron Paul is congress. They act like they're "fiscally conservative" cause they spend less than Democrats. But it's much harder to look like a true fiscal conservative if you have to compare yourself to Ron Paul.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just used to people saying "don't waste your vote" and all that nonsense, but yeah. I apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste your vote, it's totally worth it. The first time I voted, I didn't vote my conscience. I felt bad about it for four years. It's not worth the guilt!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste your vote, it's totally worth it. The first time I voted, I didn't vote my conscience. I felt bad about it for four years. It's not worth the guilt!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the guy, then don't vote for him. Plus, it opens up the door for more converts when people ask how you voted.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They act like they're "fiscally conservative" cause they spend less than Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. They tax less, I don't see them spending less. Clinton was the one who cut social programmes and balanced the budget.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Slick, do you really think the fact that 69% of registered Republicans "support" Bush in this poll means a whole lot? Why then is every single candidate doing their best to mention his name as infrequently as possible?

Registered members of a party (and Reps probably more so than Dems) will always claim a loyalty to their guy. Reading this data the way you are, I'm amazed that a pro-choice, anti-gun New York mayor and a Mormon Massachusetts Governor with a socially liberal history are 1 and 2.

Regardless, there are plenty of people (like me) who are currently registered nothings, but will soon be Republicans voting for Paul. Five million dollars means 5 million dollars. It means he is gaining a ton of momentum. If the best "Paul has no chance" argument you can think of is that people want another Bush, then I'm feeling pretty encouraged.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally will be increasing my donations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You won't vote for Ron Paul but you'll give his campaign money??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will vote for Dr. Paul, but only because it will make me feel good.

But the answer to your question is yes, even if I weren't going to vote for him, and for the same reason.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, there are plenty of people (like me) who are currently registered nothings, but will soon be Republicans voting for Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're currently a registered nothing you'd better move really fast on registering Republican.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM

An obvious oversimplification but with some validity.
If 70% of Republicans support Bush and their are 7 candidates running to continue Bush's legacy (thus splitting up their votes). That leaves 30% of Republican voters searching for something else and only one candidate who can offer that.

Simple math barring any funny business by RNC at the Convention leads to a Paul nomination.