Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Watch Out For Ron Paul

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What freedoms have been taken away from us?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you can sign up to any poker site that takes your fancy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I can sign up to any poker site that takes my business. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the context was loss of freedoms post 9/11 due to the war on terror. And rhetorical lists dont cut it. you need specific examples of real individuals who somehow had a freeom taken away that actually impacted them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's always wise to wait til you have overwhelming empirical evidence of it being too late before you care about something.

I mostly live my own life, and no one (certainly not a centralized government) is very good at stopping me, so I don't have a huge laundry list of ways I've been dicked over for you. But when I was in Vegas last summer, I had to throw out $25 or so worth of gels, soaps, toothpastes, and the ilk which were supposed to make me look beautiful, but apparently in a heightened state of terror alert, may have been destructive. The feds weren't letting that [censored] anywhere near an airplane. It was pretty annoying to have to buy all that stuff again when I got home. But the happy ending is that I signed up for a CVS extra care card, and have been saving money ever since.

Who needs hair gel anyways when you have a WAR TO WIN!!!

Beyond that, it's hard to tell which of my restrictions do and don't have anything to do with 911. If a bush was on fire it'd be pretty tedious to figure out what effect tossing a match on it actually had.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They made this clear last election cycle in Texas where due to a technicality the Republican candidate couldn't be on the ticket in a dominantly Republican precinct and rather than supporting the Libertarian candidate, they tried to do a write in knowing it would fail. The Democratic candidate won in a landslide.

And then they turn around and tell us not to throw away our votes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Republicans support the Libertarian? Most Republican are ideologically most closer to the Democrats (especially Southern Democrats, as in the case you cited), than they are to the Libertarian Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what the Republicans and Democrats claim! (but I agree)

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are confusing neoconservatism with true republicanism.

The Bush administration is Republican in name only.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 PM

What about the 200+ that were in Congress passing the bills for him to sign?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM

May I ask what, exactly, you find about him to be nutty?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, Padilla was a US Citizen btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, and he was a terrorist too....

[/ QUOTE ]

And since all terrorists wear name-tags, there's no chance an innocent person could ever be wrongfully accused. And since that's not a danger, government should be free to pick up anyone they think is a terrorist and hold them without charges or access to representation for as long as they please. Liberty and justice for all...
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a maximum that can be donated?

[/ QUOTE ]
2,300 per person. If you're going to give that kind of money, I'd save it for when he comes to your town to do a fundraiser.

To add to what Borodog saw, here's a Wall Street Journal article devoted to Paul. $5m in a quarter is impressive for a 2nd tier candidate and the money is good for getting some ink in the "horse race" articles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Congressman Paul is a nut, but for those intending to contribute, the earlier the better. The more money he raises early and the more press he gets about the money he's raising the more money he will be likely to raise.

Good luck with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be impressive. At $40 average per contributor and the majority of that being internet fueled, the Flying Spaghetti Monster could raise $5 million in a quarter if he could get on the ballot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um what? So why hasn't anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

because he's the only one who's so far off base it attracts the internet lunatic fringe

[/ QUOTE ]

So you feel Kucinich is reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to RP? There is no question DK is more mainstream than RP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want a mainstream candidate, then you definitely should not vote for Ron Paul.

Personally, my ethics keep me from voting for only those people that "realistically" have a chance. If I am going to vote again (I didn't vote last year), it will be for a person that I fundamentally agree with on everything regarding the responsibility of the federal government.

Unless there is some kind of wager involved, I don't understand some people's apparent compulsion to only vote for a "winner"; that sentiment is only really appropriate in sporting events.

If we let the status quo continue, we will get exactly the government we deserve.

www.ronpaul2008.com
Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And the US is becoming a police state to accomplish this. Hoo-rah!

[/ QUOTE ]

Police state? Holy hyperbole!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

"When the state is afraid of the people, Liberty. When the people are afraid of the state, Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson.

Personally, I'm not terribly fond of tyranny.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Your tone implies that this is all some sort of elaborate level, but that seems not to be the case...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some folks in this thread implied habeas corpus was dead, or that it no longer offered protection for citizens....but everything I could find indicates it is most definately still in effect for citizens....and I'm just trying to figure out how just "anyone" can be detained without charges if habeas corpus is still in effect.

But, naturally, I can't seem to get any sort of direct answer, just a bunch of rhetoric.

Sort of like when I ask for a list of what "freedoms" have been taken a way, because I sincerely would like to know since I don't keep up with things day-to-day and I haven't noticed any missing....and it's usually answered with "a bunch of them!" or "ones that you wouldn't even notice!"....

Not trying to employ any elaborate level...just looking for some simple answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that habeas corpus may be denied to immigrants, including lawful permanent residents, at the government's whim.

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it won't happen since it is apparently legally authorized.

I've always been skeptical of government granting itself power via legislation. Why would they give themselves the authority if they didn't intend to use it at some time?

You might trust them a bit more. That's fine; you should do whatever feels most right to you.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon guys, I know there has to be more to it than this? I always hear people griping about all these "freedoms" we've lost, and do you really mean to tell me when we get down to talking details we basically come up with this list:

1. The freedom to use illegal drugs.
2. The freedom to not be searched on public transportation, despite giving voluntary consent.

There has GOT to be more than this.....please tell me this is not what all the fuss is about....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to figure out if you're being disingenuous or you are just arguing for the sake of argument.

You are actually serving a useful purpose...education.

It is a mistake to assert something that you can't back up with hard facts.

May I ask, whom do you support?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 AM

I propose a new campaign strategy for RP: Neo-con bloggers hate me the most!