Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Study sees racial bias in calling fouls

[ QUOTE ]
wasn't that a big beef people had when it came out, that it wasn't peer reviewed? Has it been thoroughly other than mt2r?

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy that wrote Freakanomics buys it: http://www.freakonomics.com/blog/page/3/

[ QUOTE ]
I’ve read through the paper and could not find any mistakes. It appears to be carefully done. It mirrors findings John Donohue and I have in a different context. We found that when police departments hire more White officers, arrests of minorities rise, but not arrests of Whites. The opposite is true when more minority officers are hired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like MT2R I'm really surprised people are so surprised by this and the NBA's big denial. The effect found is really really small. Anyone that has taken those subliminal prejudice type word/picture association tests knows that stuff like racial bias is pretty much impossible to remove from yourself.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry.. poor wording (actually, flat wrong wording). I'm talking about causality. Could it be player bias? Could it be anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. The authors suggest it's the refs not the players, but they don't make a very detailed or compelling arguement. I personally think it's some mix of both, but you won't get a detailed or compelling arguement from me either.

[ QUOTE ]
wasn't that a big beef people had when it came out, that it wasn't peer reviewed? Has it been thoroughly other than mt2r?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peer reviewing is part of the process of getting your work published. You submit your article to a journal, they look at it and find other experts in that field (usually 3 i think) willing to go over it and offer feedback. The journal gets the feedback, then tells the authors they'll either accept it as is, accept it with recommended changes and/or more work, or they reject it.

The process takes a while and by the time it's done we'll have forgotten all about this.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM

espn linky

ESPN hired some guy with a PhD in Econ from the University of Chicago to analyze original study as well as the NBA's study. His conclusion: Both studies support the thesis that white referees are biased in foul calling against black players.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM

It actually confirms own-race bias, both ways.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It actually confirms own-race bias, both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But since there are more white referees than black and more black players than white, there appears to be a problem.