Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Default German forum threads

This was brought up in the KKF thread, but I think it merits its own discussion.

I think posts, and especially entire threads that are nothing but making nazi and WWII jokes about the German forum should not be acceptible. I'm not personally offended in any way, I'm an American, my grandparents didn't fight in WWII and as far as I know no other relatives did.

However, I think it's bad overall for the forums to have threads like this in ATF and such threads and posts have been fairly common.

As with the KKF thing, maybe my response is stronger because I don't find the jokes particularly funny or witty.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: German forum threads

I think that thread was within the realm of reasonable. I think that making Nazi jokes is going to be typically unacceptable, but I think most of the WWII jokes are in reasonably good taste. The Nev. Chamberlain gimmick is great, and the line about making sure we have a Russian forum before winter was gold. KKF accusing them of all being Nazi sympathizers is out of line. I don't think it's too hard to distinguish.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that thread was within the realm of reasonable. I think that making Nazi jokes is going to be typically unacceptable, but I think most of the WWII jokes are in reasonably good taste. The Nev. Chamberlain gimmick is great, and the line about making sure we have a Russian forum before winter was gold. KKF accusing them of all being Nazi sympathizers is out of line. I don't think it's too hard to distinguish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, you could be right. Like I said, I think a key part is that I don't find them funny or creative or anything so I see it as a no benefit/potential cost situation.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...but I think most of the WWII jokes are in reasonably good taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

When do they start getting tiresome? Next week? Next month?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:29 PM

Probably right now. If Nev makes another post w/in the next month, esp. about the German forums, it'll almost certainly be too much.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Ich denke, dass der Schlüssel zum Erfolg der deutschen Foren für mich sein wird, um fortzusetzen, äußerst schlecht übersetzte Posten zu machen. Das wird im Gelächter für alle wiederpassen.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 AM

I think you shouldnt ignore this. And it isnt funny at all. Its a kind of rassism in my eyes. I am not offended, only a German speaking mod. But aprox. 80% of those German guys in this forum are well educated, emigrants descendants and mostly students. So what is this for?
> jman thanks for your great support posting bbv nonsens
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 AM

I'm watching that thread in ATF, and, imo, those are simply very typical mild jokes about Germans, in the same vein as jokes about eejit Irishmen, mean Scotsmen, dumb Canadians, arrogant Americans, etc, etc. No one means any harm by them, and they are used daily in mainstream TV comedy programmes.

Probably the most famous example in the UK, if not in the whole world, is the Fawlty Towers sketch, and that has driven much of the harmless humour ever since.

The jokes will dry up soon, and as long as none of us allows any obviously vicious racist remarks to stand, in the meantime, our integration with future readers from other non-English language countries will proceed even more smoothly if we allow the forum wits some inoffensive leeway at this time.

Finally, I have advised the German mods privately not to hesitate to use the Notify Moderator button at any time, if they would prefer a post edited or deleted.