Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Warhammer Online: Wow killer?

I'm pretty much addicted to wow at this point, but one mmorpg (pretty much the only one) that has made me hopeful to find something more rewarding than the wow grind is warhammer online. I'm not sure if many people on this board are familiar with it, but it seems to drastically changing the gameplay mechanics of the mmorpg genre. There latest video takes a look at how they are improving on the most broken and core mechanic of current mmorpgs, the quests. Seems like questing might actually be fun and not repetitive and tedious. Take a look at their latest video
Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Warhammer Online: Wow killer?

closed beta signups have started.
I'll give it a try.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 PM

If there is one thing that you'll learn while playing mmorpgs, is that every new game out there is considered "the next big thing". Everquest held the title for a long time and everytime a new game came out, it was thought that it would finally overtake it. When Vanguard was first introduced as a concept, it was thought that it would eventually be THE game and look what happened to it.

I would take any news with a grain of salt until it's actually out and see how it goes from there.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is one thing that you'll learn while playing mmorpgs, is that every new game out there is considered "the next big thing".

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very very true. Don't buy into the hype. Try it out at release if it looks good then.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 AM

I'm fairly sure wow won't even flinch here

Story <- -> Quests interconnection are done very well in World of warcraft

Quest Types listed:

<ul type="square">[*]Kill Collectors: Basically, the innovation here is "the system lets you kill the monsters BEFORE you get the quests. Also, eliminates quest items such as bear paws, which is a good innovation. But it's still just a kill quest. Also, if you don't get quests specifically to "kill x" and you're supposed to find the quest people for which killing something is relevant for, that's going to get very very annoying (you'll need a guide).[*]Tome Quests: *shrug*[*]Exploration Quests: World of Warcraft had quests littered everywhere as well. The specific example they mention in the video, of finding some dead guy in the middle of the road, is very World of Warcraft. In World of Warcraft, you can find a gyrocopter in the middle of nowhere and help the gnome which crash-landed it. That's fairly exploration-sexy.[*]RvR: World of Warcraft has sevvveraal "PvP" quests. (why is it called RvR? lol gimmick)[*]Public: World of Warcraft has several of these too now, mainly in the expansion. I have to admit that it sounds fun and makes the world more dynamic, but I'm fairly sure they listed the two best (and probably only) examples they have[/list]
-World of Warcraft Fan
Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM

I agree that kill collector quests arent really that innovative. They are just getting rid of the retarded drop quests that should never have been in wow in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
RvR: World of Warcraft has sevvveraal "PvP" quests. (why is it called RvR? lol gimmick)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you arent familiar with dark age of camelot. RVR is where competing faction get to fight to take control of actual territories. Wow added some very light PvP elements in BC, but they are more along the lines of capturing towers and arent very relevant or well integrated to the main game. Heres a video that better explains what they are doing with RvR.

[ QUOTE ]
Public: World of Warcraft has several of these too now, mainly in the expansion. I have to admit that it sounds fun and makes the world more dynamic, but I'm fairly sure they listed the two best (and probably only) examples they have

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say wow has public quests, I havent seen any other than the pvp stuff. Public quests seem to be a replacement for raiding. I love the fact that it will allow raid like encounters without me having to fit my real life schedule around my guilds raid schedule. Obviously time will tell, if WAR is just a couple of public quests sprinkled around hundreds of WOW like quests then its not going to be all that great. But I'm really getting the feeling that they are putting the effort in thats neccessary to produce a great mmorpg.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM

It's the community that makes the game, more than anything. New technology or even a better game doesn't necessarily mean much unless you are in a guild that moves all at once to a new game. Most people in MMORPG's have spent countless hours building relationships in them, as well as improving their standing in guilds and developing their online characters. A new game doesn't come with any of that installed.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM

LoTR Online will be a good WoW competitor (wont overtake it or anything of course).

Hellgate:London will be WoW's first studder imo.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Not even close to a WOW killer. This game has been in production for years and years with less than impressive graphics, gameplay, marketability and built-in audience.

I don't think people realize just how much bigger WOW is than any other MMORPG... ever. It's magnitudes larger.

We won't see a WoW killer for a long long long time that wasn't produced by Blizzard (10 years+ imo).

Take it FWIW, I've been involved in the betas for AC2, EQ, EQII, WOW and SWG... WOW, EQ and SWG since very early stages.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think people realize just how much bigger WOW is than any other MMORPG... ever. It's magnitudes larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be emphasized.
Everquest was the big dog (in the US) peaking at around 500k subscribers. Lineage in Korea had ~3million at that time.

WoW has over 6.5 million at least (as of last year, I'm sure BC added to those numbers). To put that into perspective, it's more than EQ, AC, ACII, EQII, DaoC, SWG, Lineage and FFXI had at their respective peaks, combined.

I quit WoW last fall because of law school. I'll probably play the next big MMO casually, but am not expecting it for at least 4-8 years. Blizzard has a lot of expansions to go through, and the climate hasn't changed enough to warrant something like World of WarCraft II. (It's almost certain that the only WoW-killer will be a sequel or World(s) of Starcraft. LoTR/War are going to be blips.)

On that note, my pet suspicion is that Blizzard is holding off on Worlds of StarCraft until they (or someone else) figure out how to do RvR really well. Really well = People participating in it feel like they've really accomplished something for their faction, people not participating in it don't feel inconvenienced when their town gets razed.
The world has tons of character, an epic feel, it's insanely popular (especially in the fastest growing market in the world), and who wouldn't want to be a Hydralisk?