Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 PM

Default typical spot but not easy answer 11$ 1 rebuy 1 add on

just curious how you handle these spots if you have no read at all on a player (i was 10 min late to start tourn my son played a hand and lost)even w a read this is tough spot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 (t1440)
CO (t2855)
Hero (t2660)
SB (t2910)
BB (t3365)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t2465)
MP1 (t3950)
MP2 (t4355)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t120</font>, MP2 calls t120, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t405) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t360</font>, MP2 folds, Hero
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: typical spot but not easy answer 11$ 1 rebuy 1 add on

if you're not hoping for a flop like that, then you shouldve folded preflop. this is a great flop for you, and i think you should be getting some more money in there. any A high or broadway hand will, likely, c-bet this flop and try to pick it up, so make sure you disappoint when they try. i'd make it like, ~1k.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM

I probably would have raised it preflop, I think by doing so we reduce our opponents range, and get value out of Ax hands that are going to miss a flop like this, we also get value out of smaller pp's. Plus because we are representing strength we may be able to win it win a c-bet on a Q, J, or K high flop. As played I would raise to something like 1000-1200. His bet to me looks like he is trying to protect a mediocre hand like a pair and an over card or a c-bet or something.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 PM

It is also possible that MP1 is taking a shot at stealing what could be considered an orphan flop. I agree that a raise here would be prudent to see how serious MP1 is about this hand.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is also possible that MP1 is taking a shot at stealing what could be considered an orphan flop. I agree that a raise here would be prudent to see how serious MP1 is about this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble in these spots though after the raise. You're not really raising to see how serious he is, b/c if he shoves over your raise you have to call right? You really just have to decide right now whether or not your hand is good given the stack sizes and the size of his bet IMO.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 PM

yea this is kinda weird in a R/A but i dont see why you cant just call on the flop and then see what happens on the turn. if he makes another bigger bet on the turn, what could he really be double barelling with?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 PM

First I think flat call PF is fine, this is a good flop and I would definitely want to raise the PF aggressor here. I flat call could induce a double barrel but I don't want to give a free overcard that could beat us and flat calling still doesn't narrow his hand range for us. Here he is really on any two without reads. If we raise, he calls and then double barrels we have to reconsider especially considering what card peels on fourth. If we are 3 bet all in I think we have to call given the BI level readless. And if he calls a flop raise I am almost always checking for pot control on the turn when checked to.

Basically I want to raise him here to either take it down or take control of the hand so that I can control the size of the pot.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First I think flat call PF is fine, this is a good flop and I would definitely want to raise the PF aggressor here. I flat call could induce a double barrel but I don't want to give a free overcard that could beat us and flat calling still doesn't narrow his hand range for us. Here he is really on any two without reads. If we raise, he calls and then double barrels we have to reconsider especially considering what card peels on fourth. If we are 3 bet all in I think we have to call given the BI level readless. And if he calls a flop raise I am almost always checking for pot control on the turn when checked to.

Basically I want to raise him here to either take it down or take control of the hand so that I can control the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think raising preflop puts us in a good position to take it down pre, and makes stealing a pot like this alot eaiser. I agree though, calling isn't a very good play, too many cards could come on turn that will scare us and induce a double barrel.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:02 AM

You're committed to the pot if you raise a believable amount, so you have to be WELL ahead of his range to raise at all, b/c he's very rarely folding better and you're very rarely getting value out of worse. Assuming this, the pot is just not large enough to give you enough chips to compensate for when you're crushed. Keep in mind he's betting into two callers here, and that even micro/SS players often aren't going to give people credit for a hand here.

If he double-barrels light, a call gets additional value out of hands you beat on the turn (with the intention of calling the turn most of the time) and therefore makes playing this hand for your whole stack somewhat more lucrative. Though this wouldn't seem to matter without reads, I think if you want to play this for your whole stack you might risk him drawing out on you on the turn to get some additional value out of a bluff.

I usually fold b/c I can't figure out a clear way that I can play the situation profitably (I DON'T KNOW WHERE I'M AT). Actually, it's interesting to consider the option of raising small and then folding to a raise if he really never ships it in with worse. Of course, a small raise may induce a bluff -- but that just makes it a more viable option than a shove for trying to get more value on the flop.

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 AM

On second thought, I probably didn't give enough credence to the possibility that villain raised 5-4 or 6-5 more than a 100 BBs deep... like I said before, I really have no idea what the best play is here. Sorry.