Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]

What makes these condescending one-liners OK when you do them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly response to a silly post.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What makes these condescending one-liners OK when you do them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly response to a silly post.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the better question is what makes them inappropriate when we do them in response to you, I suppose.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But it's not a "bet" in the sense that one can reasonably assign a non-zero probability to the truth of "God's side", as you put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really referencing Pascal's Wager. I was trying to make the point that everyone makes a choice concerning obedience to God. In a sense it's like a bet. I was just using Lestat's term.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's right here in your own words:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a pretense?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I already asked: "Exactly what are 600,000 nomadic slaves suppose to leave behind to prove their existence 3000 years into the future?"

[/ QUOTE ]

How about an account from an extra-biblical source? The Egyptians kept insanely good records yet there is no mention of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Egyptians never kept records of defeats, and did not keep accurate historical records until Hellenistic times. I think the Egyptians would have wanted to erase all traces of the Israelites as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But it's not a "bet" in the sense that one can reasonably assign a non-zero probability to the truth of "God's side", as you put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really referencing Pascal's Wager. I was trying to make the point that everyone makes a choice concerning obedience to God. In a sense it's like a bet. I was just using Lestat's term.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its only a bet in the same way that chosing not to play roulette is a bet.

chez
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Evolutionary design is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a contradiction in terms. Evolution has no mind, design implies mind.

[ QUOTE ]

Humans have an appendix and tailbone, for example. Human males have nipples.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these have a function.

[ QUOTE ]

Some flightless birds have feathers or remnants of wings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, these have functions. As for the legless snakes, I don't know the specifics.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm no biblical scholar, but I believe there are countless inconsistencies just in the first few pages alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of what you mention comes under my rules for Bible inconsistencies. There are easy answers to all of them but I'm not going to look it up for you.

[ QUOTE ]

If I knew the Christian God existed, I would get down on my knees, ask for forgiveness, and worship Him immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's hope for you.

[ QUOTE ]

That everyone doesn't see it as so obviously true as you seem to, should be concerning to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many reasons people don't believe in God. Arguing that smart people don't believe in Him is two edged, because many smart people do. And in general I don't let opinion polls decide the fate of my soul.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it would be interesting if you were to post on 2+2 the story of how you became a Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So the better question is what makes them inappropriate when we do them in response to you, I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a nonsense post. Feel free to respond to any nonsense post I make with nonsense.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> The fact that he claims to be able to determine which is more likely is absurd and is based on no mathematics. </font>

Well, I am embarrassingly poor at math and probably one of the ones you're speaking of who assume his use of Bay's Theorum has a place in his arguments. So help me out with this one...

I would think that the Exodus story IS in fact, many, many times more likely to be true than the parting of the Red Sea story. I base this on the fact that in order for the Exodus story to be true, all that is needed is for a seemingly unlikely event to actually have occured. Whereas, in order for the Red Sea story to be true, you need not only an unlikely event to have occured, but you also need a complete suspension of physical properties that are very well known to govern our universe. Hence, if I were a bookmaker, I'd put both of these events as great underdogs, but I'd set much longer odds for the parting of the Red Sea ever happening.

Btw- I also miss PTB. He was one of the few who could keep David on his toes and make him think a little more before spouting some math to make a point. I for one, have no hope of ever catching David taking taking unfounded mathematical liberties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in here I believe you mean to compare the Exodus (during which the parting of the Red Sea is commonly believed to be the final step) to the Ressurection. But perhaps there's something I'm missing. I responded to a DS post that compared those two miracles. If you try your post again, I can comment on it if you like.

I still stand behind my previous post, whether it is believed to be argumentative or not.