Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
I mean in japan until the 1900s a high class person, a samuri or something, could kill a commoner for any reason, without any consequences. why do you think the japanese are so polite lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in America in the 1600s you could burn a young girl at the stake just because you felt she was witchy. In fact, such killing was performed by so-called men of God themselves.

What was the point again?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And in America in the 1600s you could burn a young girl at the stake just because you felt she was witchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i was just gonna bring that up. psychic maybe. well the point is that other cultures don't follow the ten commandments like don't murder in my japan example so not sure they followed don't steal.

the witches are another good example to support my position because in the bible it does say to kill a witch although I don't think it is supposed to be by burning. so again it shows how our modern laws come from english common law which comes from the bible. It would be interesting to look at some laws still on the books in places like MA cause I bet there are still like laws against witchcraft lol.

I mean you've probably heard about laws in some states against homosexuality and how it is not enforced but is still on the books, etc., well where do you think those laws come from?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And in America in the 1600s you could burn a young girl at the stake just because you felt she was witchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i was just gonna bring that up. psychic maybe. well the point is that other cultures don't follow the ten commandments like don't murder in my japan example so not sure they followed don't steal.

the witches are another good example to support my position because in the bible it does say to kill a witch although I don't think it is supposed to be by burning. so again it shows how our modern laws come from english common law which comes from the bible. It would be interesting to look at some laws still on the books in places like MA cause I bet there are still like laws against witchcraft lol.

I mean you've probably heard about laws in some states against homosexuality and how it is not enforced but is still on the books, etc., well where do you think those laws come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said no laws stem from the Bible. Just that the Bible isn't the ultimate source. There are laws against homosexuality in many African cultures as well. These beliefs generally predate the 10 C's, they weren't pulled from thin air into a culture with no basis for them. Oops, I guess that's exactly what you do believe, isn't it? That western/middle eastern man had no basis for these beliefs until Moses quite literally pulled them from the thin air of God's breath? Well, we can't shake that belief now can we?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said no laws stem from the Bible. Just that the Bible isn't the ultimate source. There are laws against homosexuality in many African cultures as well. These beliefs generally predate the 10 C's, they weren't pulled from thin air into a culture with no basis for them. Oops, I guess that's exactly what you do believe, isn't it? That western/middle eastern man had no basis for these beliefs until Moses quite literally pulled them from the thin air of God's breath? Well, we can't shake that belief now can we?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that our general set of laws come from the bible, in the west. I mean that's just a fact. I'm not disputing that other cultures may have similiar beliefs, but I don't think other cultures have a similiar set of beliefs. I mean, the japan example I gave I brought up to show other cultures that you might think have analagous laws even though from different sources in reality don't. I mean I used the samuri killing vs. thou shalt not murder because thou shalt not murder and thou shalt not steal are both 10 C so i figured you could figure out my point, that other cultures don't have roughly the same laws just from different sources.

I mean back to the original example I'm saying the founding fathers put in gold/silver in constitution because of the prohibition in levitucus against unjust weights and balances, not because of some greek rule about having unchanging measures, because I don't thing the greeks had any such rule or law or ethic. and even if the greeks did, when america had that rule implemented they did it because they got it from the bible, not from the greeks.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that our general set of laws come from the bible, in the west. I mean that's just a fact. I'm not disputing that other cultures may have similiar beliefs, but I don't think other cultures have a similiar set of beliefs. I mean, the japan example I gave I brought up to show other cultures that you might think have analagous laws even though from different sources in reality don't. I mean I used the samuri killing vs. thou shalt not murder because thou shalt not murder and thou shalt not steal are both 10 C so i figured you could figure out my point, that other cultures don't have roughly the same laws just from different sources.

I mean back to the original example I'm saying the founding fathers put in gold/silver in constitution because of the prohibition in levitucus against unjust weights and balances, not because of some greek rule about having unchanging measures, because I don't thing the greeks had any such rule or law or ethic. and even if the greeks did, when america had that rule implemented they did it because they got it from the bible, not from the greeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do you acknowledge that it is likely that "just weights and measures" was a principle of Jewish culture and thus in the Bible, rather than its in the Bible and thus became a principle of Jewish culture. I mean, do you think this concept was foreign to their culture until it magically appeared from God?

Because in my opinion, THAT'S the real issue.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But do you acknowledge that it is likely that "just weights and measures" was a principle of Jewish culture and thus in the Bible, rather than its in the Bible and thus became a principle of Jewish culture. I mean, do you think this concept was foreign to their culture until it magically appeared from God?

[/ QUOTE ]

well the bible is the word of god if you believe in that and just a manmade philosophy if you don't I guess. In any case it's the bedrock of our western legal tradition. which btw, we have largely abandoned. in the case of the just weights and balances gold/silver we've abandoned that and instead embraced the communist plank of a central bank fiat money system.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well the bible is the word of god if you believe in that and just a manmade philosophy if you don't I guess. In any case it's the bedrock of our western legal tradition. which btw, we have largely abandoned. in the case of the just weights and balances gold/silver we've abandoned that and instead embraced the communist plank of a central bank fiat money system.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thanks to God for holding off the Commies as long as he could. It was a brave effort.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thanks to God for holding off the Commies as long as he could. It was a brave effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he offered us the choice between life and death and advised us strongly to choose life. something to remember when the next great depression comes along, that it was a choice we made.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, these points will be glossed over in the coming tirades, rancor and foul loathing that will soon descend on this thread like the Red Sea did on the Egyptians.

Which is too bad because this thread has the beginnings of being an excellent exchange. It is not too late to rescue it from the dung heap of rancor and silliness. But I have little hope in this direction.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM

I found this stuff to be of considerable interest:

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/red-sea-crossing-04.htm

What evidence is there to the contrary? Or is it merely lack of discovery that compels these scientists to make their claims?