0.35 - 0.40 0 0%
0.40 - 0.45 2 7.14%
0.45-0.50 0 0%
results only 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL AFC TITLE GAME pats @ COLTS ***

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: For the NFL's % of black coaches to match up with the population, we'd have to fire two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack, this is decidedly not true if you consider the history of the NFL. Also, it does not even come close to matching up with the player makeup of the league.

[ QUOTE ]

I am well aware how horrible things are for the minority races now. However, it seems to me that the NFL is one of the least discriminating organizations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why these coaches making the superbowls is worthy of celebration. The NFL is relatively nondiscriminatory, and this is a great example of that. Strides still need to be made, I'm sure, but any steps in the right direction are great.

[ QUOTE ]
I ask again, when is there true racial equality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, sometime in the distant future. It's easy to shrug and say, "Hey, that's the way life is," when it doesn't affect you negatively at all. Given your usual level of maturity, it's surprising to to see you write off steps towards racial equality because the final goal seems impossible. Surely, any steps in the right direction are worthy of coverage and acclaim.

James
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, in a country where we've never come close to having a minority president, and the racial distribution of high profile jobs don't come close to mirroring the population makeup of our citizens

[/ QUOTE ]

The president thing is largely due to racism. There is a large portion of the American population that would not vote for a black president, which is a shame.

The second thing you mention is mostly due to factors outside of current racism, ie, racial inequalities that were created by racism in the past.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: For the NFL's % of black coaches to match up with the population, we'd have to fire two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but for the % of black coaches to match up with the NFL's population (of players, that is), you'd have to hire 15 more of them.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM

James,

Do you see the success of Dungy and Smith as steps towards racial equality in the NFL, or steps towards racial equality in general?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Yikes, after seeing that previous post that you deleted, it's obvious that you really have no idea(or if you have an idea, empathy) for what minorities face today. "How is it harder for a black coach to win the super bowl?" Uh, it's harder to win a superbowl if historically your race is underrepresented(and until recently, not represented AT ALL) in the makeup of the coaches. Disappointing post from you Jack, though I guess I give you some credit for deleting it soon after.

James
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Simmons column is up...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM

I'd say that the problem isn't that the NFL doesn't hire black coaches. The problem is that they keep recycling the same crop of crappy coaches from the previous generation, all of whom are white.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James,

Do you see the success of Dungy and Smith as steps towards racial equality in the NFL, or steps towards racial equality in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see their success as a step itself, but I think their success is a catalyst for racial equality in general. The entire country will see two black men succeed where none of have succeeded before(due almost entirely because they didnt get the chance). That the nfl has given these men the chance speaks highly of the nfl, and will make small steps to helping our country in general.

James
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simmons column is up...

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good article for a die hard pats fan
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
adios,

Great post. It's very easy for the younger portion of this board(myself included) to forget how drastically worse things were for the minority races VERY recently. Your points about the subconcious 'proof' that this will provide for owners that black coaches can win is very well spoken. I mean, in a country where we've never come close to having a minority president, and the racial distribution of high profile jobs don't come close to mirroring the population makeup of our citizens, I don't see why this would be something to get annoyed at at all - unless Mebenhoe is correct.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi James,

Thanks for the kind words. I have a hard time understanding the annoyance myself and I'm way far from being ultra liberal as well btw. I'm fond of saying that records speak for themselves and the fact that only one Afro-American head coach had ever been hired in the NFL prior to 1989 speaks for itself IMO. The hiring record between 1989 and the 2002 NFL policy change was all that great either IMO. It wasn't like in 1989 all of a sudden Afro-American coaches became capable of coaching NFL teams. Anyway here's a link to the executive summary of the report that led to what I refer to as the NFL affirmative action policy:

Black Coaches in the National Football League: Superior Performance, Inferior Opportunities

As I stated in my post, I think that hiring Afro-Americans as NFL coaches will be a non issue for owners going forward.

Regards,

adios