Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Another posting on why some of us Athesists fear the fundies...

I don't how this escaped me. Apparently there's a lot of controversy about the big Christian video game that's out. Here's the description I found from one article:

[ QUOTE ]
You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission -- to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is "to conduct physical and spiritual warfare"; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The video game is modeled after the best selling Christian Sci Fi series "Left Behind."

I have more reading on this. Apparently its associated with the message taught by one of those super church ministers (I believe it was Rick Warren?)

Looking for more info but, this kind of reinforces why I think the Christian Fundamentalists are as dangerous and twisted and any other. And further reason why I am thankful for the likes of Sam Harris.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Another posting on why some of us Athesists fear the fundies...

Oh whatever. We've had GTA, Doom and Mortal Kombat. Let them have their fun.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 PM

I'm not concerned that they have a video game. I'm concerned about the ideas represented by the videogame.

And I don't think Mortal Kombat or even GTA represents the agenda of non-christians.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM

1. I don't know if "big Christian video game" applies when it is supposedly trying to kill the majority of Christians.

2. You are against this because you feel that the ideas represented by the game are dangerous. You must then feel that children/teens/anybody playing this games are influenced by the game's premise.

3. You must then feel that people are influenced by video games.

4. Mortal Kombat, GTA are based on the ideas of going on random killing sprees, stealing indiscriminantly, assaulting strangers, prostitution, ... Why would these ideas not be transferabble to players the same as the ideas in the Christian game?

5. I don't see how you can be ok with Mortal Kombat, GTA, and the vast other violent games and not ok with this.

6. I have no problem with violent video games assuming parents ensure that their kids are mature enough to play them.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Bart: When I'm feeling low, you know what always cheers me up?
Todd: Is it love?
Rod: Kindness?
Bart: Ooh, tough room. Videogames! Whaddya got? [grabs a videogame off the shelf, and reads the title] "Billy Graham's Bible Blaster?"
Rod: Keep firing; convert the heathens!
[cut to a pixilated video screen. Heathens cross the street, as a Bible gun shoots the Holy Book at them. When a heathen gets hit, he turns into a conservatively dressed man with a halo]
[cut back to the boys]
Bart: Got him!
Rod: No, you just winged him and made him a Unitarian.
Todd: Look out, Bart! A gentle Baha'i!
[cut back to the video screen. A Baha'i, sitting cross-legged and wearing a turban, floats past. Bart zaps him, and turns him into another suit-wearing conservative]
[cut back to the boys]
Bart: All right! Full conversion! [puts his arms around Rod and Todd] Thanks guys, this really cheered me up.

-- The Simpsons, "Alone Again, Natura-Diddly"
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I don't know if "big Christian video game" applies when it is supposedly trying to kill the majority of Christians.

2. You are against this because you feel that the ideas represented by the game are dangerous. You must then feel that children/teens/anybody playing this games are influenced by the game's premise.

4. Mortal Kombat, GTA are based on the ideas of going on random killing sprees, stealing indiscriminantly, assaulting strangers, prostitution, ... Why would these ideas not be transferabble to players the same as the ideas in the Christian game?

5. I don't see how you can be ok with Mortal Kombat, GTA, and the vast other violent games and not ok with this.

6. I have no problem with violent video games assuming parents ensure that their kids are mature enough to play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of putting words in OP's mouth, I think you missed the point.
The concern isn't that the game will influence people, it's that people ALREADY hold beliefs which makes the game attractive to them. It's a symptom, not a cause.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of putting words in OP's mouth, I think you missed the point.
The concern isn't that the game will influence people, it's that people ALREADY hold beliefs which makes the game attractive to them. It's a symptom, not a cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the makers of GTA believe that its ok to go on random sprees of violence? So the people that enjoy playing those games do it because they already believe committing violent acts is fun?

Don't get me wrong, I think this game is retarded, but I regard the OP in the same light as I view the people who rail against other violent games. And using phrases like "about the big Christian video game that's out" makes me lose even more respect since it clearly doesn't have widespread support.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the makers of GTA believe that its ok to go on random sprees of violence?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. THAT'S THE POINT.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the makers of GTA believe that its ok to go on random sprees of violence?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. THAT'S THE POINT.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the minister of this church (Rick Warren?) actually advocates killing these other groups? This is a serious question, as I have no idea who this guy is. I also think the video game is retarded.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I really don't think it's a big deal. If they want to imagine an apocalyptoverse where non-Christians need to be killed, let them have their fun.