Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Getting Jammed on 6th st. with a made low

Should I have folded immediately to the 3-bet on 6th st? What about the river?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.58 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (3.58 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (3.29 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (6.29 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises

River - (18.29 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (20.29 BB)
Old 12-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Getting Jammed on 6th st. with a made low

Call 6th, and then if seat 4 raies, and seat 8 three bets then youi can fold.

You just want to show down as cheap as possible at that point.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:38 PM

I think you're dead in the water on 6th. At best it's probably a call/fold. You can't rep anything better than what you have on 6th for low and I can't see Seat 4 not raising here no matter what you do. When it's 2 more bets back to you, you have to let it go.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Bad spot, it's hard to tell where you stand really. I'd say you have about 10% equity in the pot on 6th, a 64 will almost certainly get you half, a 65 will often do the trick too and I think catching the 5 for the straight will win high the majority of the time. However, this is a serious immediate and reverse implied odds situation and the price is too high to draw. If you knew you had all your outs, MAYBE ... but that is for from true here and getting tied to these hands can get real expensive real quick.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:40 PM

I'd check fifth. Looks like you're behind both ways.

Sixth is debatable. I think raising is fine since it may let you know where you're at. You found out. You're drawing somewhere between slim and dead for half the pot. Abandon ship.

And if you're going to fold on the river for one bet, you should definitely have folded to the double re-raise on sixth.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you're going to fold on the river for one bet, you should definitely have folded to the double re-raise on sixth.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what bothered me about my play too. Can't throw in two bets here looking for a miracle. I have to decide if I have any reasonable chance of having the best hand - that's why I bet 5th because the villian played small pairs quite often and chased with 2 card lows with a flush draw. I like my bet because he was aggressive and would have raised 5th st. with a low. Checking and calling would have given me no info, as he would have bet, and couldn't eliminate the tens who I knew would call for one bet but not two.

Villian made a bold play on 6th st. with a hand I would have thrown away there. He had pocket 8's and knew it would be 2 bets back to me. He's played a lot with me and I give him credit for knowing me well enough to think this play might work - still he's playing for 1/2 the pot and had to commit a ton of chips. He hadn't tried anything like this on me for about a year, which is why it worked - he's smart enough to now make the same play again with the goods, but I'll be better prepared at least.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:50 PM

Yeah, gotta let it go to the double re-raise on 6th.

If we give Seat 4 A4 in the hole, is raising on 5th a bad play for him?

EDIT: Wow, just saw he had 88 in the hole. wow.